Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Day 5

Old 11-30-2011, 04:14 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
Buy a ground blind "Dog House". It's nice to know you have a place to hunt when it's raining and stay dry.
It's not that Im afraid Im gonna Melt, where I Hunt there's Big Steep Ravines with Tons of Thick Stuff for the Deer to Hide. Most of My Stands are at the Top of the Ravines as the Deer Bed in the Thick Creek Bottoms and come up out of them in the late afternoon to feed and go down into them in the early morning to Bed.
If I make a shot when it's Raining and even though I'd only take a good shot and Im sure it would be a lethal shot, the Deer Always run back down into the Thick Creek Bottoms after the shot. With the Rain the Blood Trail probably would get washed away and if you saw how thick this stuff is you'd know why I need a blood trail to follow or I could be looking for Hours.
So when it Rains I pass on the Hunt. Even when it's not Raining I would prefer to Not shoot at a Deer twords last light because looking for one in the Dark down in there is just as bad.
Now if I was Hunting a Open Hardwoods it would be different, or a Corn or Soy Bean Field, then I'd find My Quarry fast with No Problem. But I have My eye on a Good Buck I saw a few days back and could'nt get a shot at, so for now Im after Him.
We have 2 Adult Deer in the Freezer already, we only need 3, possibly 4 and I have 3 full weeks left to Hunt so Im in No Hurry, yet anyways.
(BP)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know exactly what you're talking about Breechplug. We don't have ravines, but ten acres of chest high briar and blackberry can be just as bad, and a blood trail is a necessity. If it's raining I will take only a neck shot that I know for sure I can make - steady rest and not too far out. If I don't have a high confidence shot like that the deer will walk with my blessing.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have the same thing! I sit one stand the trail cams tell me I should have sat the other stand! I can not win!
So I came home to finish duck season on Lake Mich and then hit the last 3 days hard.

Good luck out the Pluckit!

JW
Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I know exactly what you're talking about Breechplug. We don't have ravines, but ten acres of chest high briar and blackberry can be just as bad, and a blood trail is a necessity. If it's raining I will take only a neck shot that I know for sure I can make - steady rest and not too far out. If I don't have a high confidence shot like that the deer will walk with my blessing.
I can relate Semi, we alsohave what they Call Red Brush, this stuff is so thick that if you died in it they find you standing up, that's if you could actually stand up in it, on Deer Drives we leave our Guns behind and Crawl through it most of the time and we bring Pruning Shears with us just in case we get stuck. Some patches of this can go for Acres and Acres. That's where the big Bucks live and Hide around here, they grow very Old, Big and Smart and Die in it to never been seen most of there Lives.
YES, Neck shots are a good thing, but when you take a Neck Shot and the Deer falls over or goes down a 500 foot Ravine and it's almost dark and your alone it can be a real Problem when you have 2 miles to get back to Your Truck.
(BP)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The weather finally broke here had Sun all after noon. Its on the way. Better luck and better weather tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The start of day 6 found me abandoning my normal spot to escape the wind and sit in a small wooded area in my ground blind for added protection from the wind. It sure got chilly over night. Once again the deer did not cooperate and I went home empty handed. I'll try again tonight.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your bad luck. The weather has been pretty bad for us so far, and we haven't seen nearly as many deer this year compared to our average. Also, there has been more hunting pressure on the surrounding lands this year and I suspect the deer are hunkering down more during the day.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I must be getting old. I had my rifle in hand and stepped out the front door to go hunting this afternoon and as soon as I saw the wind still whipping the tree branches I went back inside and took a nap. Oh well, I'll try again in the morning.
I have to admit that there is one other reason. I have a cough from a cold that has moved into my chest. I don't feel bad, but the coughing is unbearable when you are trying to be quiet. How am I supposed to keep from scaring the deer away? Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Last edited by pluckit; 12-01-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.