Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: whats the average load of black powder used in a rifle ?
44.44%
61.11%
0%
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What load to use drop a deer ?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. What powder and bullet do you use?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Spike

i don't what kind of powder its just a small amount that i drop in to the barrel then i put a .50 cal. 240 gr. XTP bullet.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

None of will recommend an amount of powder without knowing what you're using. What does it say on the bottle?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

WE just went through this a few days ago..........I would'nt Hunt a Whitetail Deer with nothing less than 70grs of Powder at shots up to and a lither further than 50yds. 80 Grains Plus out to 100+ Yards and 100+ Grains at distances from 100-150 yards.
For Me I like a Load that will get the Job done at 50 yards just as good as it'll get the Job done at 150 Yards. I normally use 120 Grains, it has the Best Accuracy in My ML and I have had Complete Pass Throughs out to 180 Yards.
The Load you use should be the one that is the Most Accurate out of Your ML and also should be one that does it's Job, there's so many Variables involved, it's up to You to find that Load and what Your Maximum Distance is that You feel comfortable with and are capable of taking a Deer with that will do that Job.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK mosseyoakhunter44, I just looked at your public profile and see that you're 16 years old. So you clearly don't have a lot of experience in muzzle loading, and probably don't have someone coaching you.

You've got a lot of guys here confused with some of your questions and statements. So it's time for a little tutoring.

First off, you really need to know what powder you're using when dealing with muzzle loaders - and must be certain the powder is appropriate for a muzzle loader.

First off, there's real Black Powder with names like GOEX, Swiss and KIK (plus a few others). Real black powder is the original and traditional propellant for muzzle loaders. Then there are approved substitutes for real black powder. The common ones are Pyrodex, Triple Seven, American Pioneer, Blackhorn 209, and a few others. Only real black powder or an approved black powder substitute may be used in a muzzle loader. Accidentally using a smokeless powder is extremely dangerous.

Real black powder and all of the substitutes come in a granular form and are loaded by volume with a powder measure (i.e. 70 grains volume, 90 grains volume, etc.). But some of the substitutes, like Pyrodex and Triple Seven are also available as preformed pellets. In most cases, one pellet is said to be the equivalent of 50 grains volume of powder.

I suspect from some of your questions and statements you are using a pellet (considering a full load to be 100 grains/2 pellets, and a half load to be 50 grains/one pellet).

The guys here will be able to give you a lot of help and guidance, but you need to be clearer about your situation. What gun are you using (make/model/caliber) and what powder do you have, or can get.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-23-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Spike

i use little premesured loads of black powder the things that dont come in a bottle but the come in tubes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pellets? Are they 50gr?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mossyoakhunter44
i use little premesured loads of black powder the things that dont come in a bottle but the come in tubes
Use 2 of them and you'll be fine. But Remember to Read as Much as Possible on this Forum as they Guys here know there Stuff, there's a Million Years of Experience on here.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Spike

i think they are 50 gr. but im not positive but 2 of them is a full load that's what i know
Old 11-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still have not figured out how to shoot have a bullet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.