Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opening Day Blues!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening Day Blues!

Im up and the Wife's Sleeping in, the Winds are Howling Outside at about 35-40mph with the Ocassional Gust of 50, not what I consider an Ideal Opening Day, the Wifes the Only Smart one here by Not going.
But as I have for so many other Opening Days off I'll go, We've had Heat 65+ Degrees, Pouring Rain, Snow Storms and Wind befor on Opening Day and it's never stopped Me befor. Im not expecting to see any Deer but will have a Great Time with My Friends.
Oh and My Wife has off on Monday so She'll be going out then. Wisk Me Luck
Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck BP!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Connie has always been a couple steps ahead
Old 11-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Its snowing real hard in Northern Wisconsin. Weather man said six inches is all. So that should be headed your way. Today was 35 degrees, snowing, and damp out. Something to look forward to. Good luck to you.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad used to always say "A bad day in the woods is a lot better than a good day at work!"
Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had no time to up-date this Morning as after I posted this Thread I hit the Shower and shut off the Computer.
Well to MY SURPRISE when I got out of the Shower there was Connie drinking Coffee, She said (I'll Go..........)
I'll try and make this short.....Connie and I left and got to our Hunting Spot up in the Hills, there was still Snow on the Ground in the Woods from the Snow we got on Thursday Night, about 2-3 Inches still in the Woods where the Sun does'nt shine too much but the main Trails and Filds were Melting.
We took a stand on the Ground in the Hemlocks and Blowdowns near the edge of the Swamp. The Deer always run to the Swamp when the Shooting Starts. To our Surprise the winds were hardly noticeable at all, it was Perfect out and we had Snow on the Ground and to think I was'nt Very Happy when we left.
We Bumped Deer going to our Spot but the area was full of Fresh Tracks. I still wondered what kind of Day we were going to have as this Year they allowed Us to Hunt with Rifles for the first time.
At first light the shooting started, within minutes we had Deer comming our way, they were everywhere. Connie and I both could have taken Nice Big Fat Does right off the bat but we were hoping Mr Big would be tagging behind one of the Does. As the Deer came and went we only saw a 4pt, another 4pt and a Spike with the Does.
I almost shot 2 different BIG Does but I held out. I told Connie to shoot the next Buck that came by or even a Big Doe as She only had one more Day to Hunt, Monday then She was done for the Season.
By around 8 Oclock we saw over 20 Does and 3 Bucks but No Big Bucks, then here came a Buck....he was walking a little Funny but comming. I told Connie this looks like possibly a wounded Buck, if He gets closer shoot Him. I watched Him through My Scope as He got closer and I really could'nt see anything wrong with Him. I wispered to Connie when He goes behind that tree and comes out on the other side I'll Mouth Bleat to Him and stop Him, then You SHOOT!
It worked Perfect, the Buck stopped dead in His Tracks at My Mouth Bleat at about 30 yds and Connie FIRED! The Buck ran off and then came to a Trot then to a walk, he got about 60 yds and was just walking. I thought did She Miss?? He then stopped and was just looking around. I was gonna hand Her My ML when He stopped and was just looking around and have Her shoot at Him again when He just Fell Over Dead! We High Fived!
We Hurried to the Buck and first Noticed a High Hit in the Spine, I asked Connie where she aimed and She said the Lungs (I KNOW WHERE TO AIM)!!! I then noticed another hole on the Buck side. I flipped Him over and saw a Perfect Entrance Hole in the Lungs, She made a Perfect Shot. Come to find out the Buck had been shot earlier in the Morning By a Rifle. I did'nt get a Pic of that shot but I will when I go back to the Barn to take the Deer to the Processing place. But the Rifle Bullet hit the Buck High in the spine, you can see the small entrance hole where it went in, then Blew a BIG HUNK of the Spine out. I cant believe the shooter did'nt drop this Buck in His Tracks from the Wound, but the Buck seemed to be doing pretty good when Connie shot Him.
We Hunted untill about Noon then I gathered up the Buck and started to Drag Him back to the Truck, we had a 4 Wheeler there but My Buddy was still Hunting and I did'nt want to disturb Him and I had Snow so the Drag was'nt to Bad for the first Mile, then we ran out of Snow as the Temps Warmed up and the Sun Melted most of the Snow where the Sun shined on them, the rest of the Drag was'nt that Fun but I got Him back to the Truck and then had some Lunch.
I took some Fast Pics and Connie Does'nt like Her Picture taken (as you can tell from them) but I got a couple. Plus another Buddy of Ours got a 8 Point and My Buddies Nephew got a Nice Big Doe. Those are the Pics.
We went back and Hunted, saw more Does but No Big Bucks, My other Buddy got a Big Doe that afternoon, everyone saw Deer but no real shooters......Day Over........
The first Pic is Connie Buck and His Rack after She shot it, then some more of Connie and Her Buck, then My Buddy Steve Razzin Connie, then My Buddys 8 Point and Buddys Nephew's Doe.
Connie used Her CVA KODIAK with a 240gr XTP and a T7 Primer with 80grs of Pyrodox a 50 and a 30 Pellet. Optics is a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn ML Scope 3X9 in Mossy Oak.
Attached Thumbnails Opening Day Blues!-dsc00535.jpg   Opening Day Blues!-dsc00536.jpg   Opening Day Blues!-dsc00537.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

How sweet it is!!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could'nt do all the Pics at once, Sorry! Connie's Celebratng Now as I Clean Her ML and Write this. She's having a Cold Molson Canadian Light, She Deserves it. Most of all She's Happy She got that Buck as he would have been Coyote Food befor long.
Attached Thumbnails Opening Day Blues!-dsc00538.jpg   Opening Day Blues!-dsc00540.jpg   Opening Day Blues!-dsc00545.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The High Lite of My Day was where Connie and I, Im I was Dragging Connie's Buck out and She looked at Me and said WTF Stinks????? I said, I Dunno. Come to fine out I had a Fresh Bottle of FOX URINE in My Fanny Pack with all the rest of EVERYTHING I Need and have for MLing and Hunting, from Tags to Wallet to, just all of it.
Anyway the Dang Bottle of Fox Urine somehow Leaked onto All My Stuff! the worst part of it is My Wallet Soaked in Most of it! I had to come Home, Take a Shower because I Smelled Like a Ripe Fox and run to Wl-Mart and Buy a New Wallet. My Face Mask, Gloves and Camo Hat were also in there, there all being Washed with the Fanny Pack right now, hope there Dry by the Morning.
I still had one of the Best Opening Days Ever, even after ALL My Complaining. But it is Raining out now and Connie's yelling at Me to go to Bed, I only got 3 1/2 hours of sleep last night and it's now 11 and I have to be up by at least 4:30. So Good Night Guy's and Happy and SAFE Hunting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.