Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recovered some 300gr Sabertooth conicals

Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Default Recovered some 300gr Sabertooth conicals

Took the Optima out to 100 yards today with T7 pellets as well as Pyrodex Pellets. The Pyrodex pellets shot best with 100gr and the 300gr Sabertooth. 2 1/2". Not the greatest accuracy but good for pellets.

Switched over to using 150gr T7 pellets " 100gr didnt shoot for crap" and got a good 2 1/2" group.

I was able to recover one bullet from the Pyrodex Pellet charge and it was 254gr but hit a sand stone rock which knocked a chunk of bullet off. Had that not happened, im thinking it would have been a full 300gr.

Now i recovered 2 bullets from the 150gr T7 charges and one weighs 284 grains and the other, 290 grains. That should be perfect for an elk with 100gr BH209.

I swear though, After waiting for the swabbing solution to do its job i was thinking that if i ever stop shooting BH209 for some crazy reason, the Inline muzzleloaders are out the door. I will easily switch back to a sidelock rather than sit there swabbing the crud ring out of the bore on my inline. It has got to be the biggest waste of time ever and just due to a crud ring. No more! Pellets were shoved way back in the gun closet to collect dust.

I took some pictures of the bullets and will post them here later on.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

swabbing is not so bad. Give you something to do, to slow you down. Nice shooting.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used t7 in pellet or powder form, but I have never had a problem with Pyrodex in pellet or powder form in either my Pursuit or my Wolf.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Can't wait to see the photos
Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

By the way, i first tried the NSI primers. They sucked for group size! I switched to the Winchester W209s and greatly shrunk the groups down to 2 1/2" @ 100. I plan on doing better with the Blackhorn209.

Also, not sure if you guys remember but the last time i shot these bullets years ago, i ran into a problem with the bases sticking to the bullets even after hitting a 5 gallon sand bucket. I did not have that problem with these. The bullets seem to drop much easier from the gas seal than the previous Sabertooths i shot.

Should be pretty obvious which bullets were shot with the 150gr charge. I think the 300gr Sabertooth would do great on elk after recovering these.