Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I've had it with Blued Steel Barrels!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've had it with Blued Steel Barrels!

OK, My Wife chose to use Her CVA Kodiak for this Season because She thinks Her ACCURA is Too Heavy, I agreed even though I knew She was wrong, Women are Always Right....Remember that.
Anyway Her Kodiak had a Blued Steel Barrel and Im a CLEAN FREAK! If I cant get the Barrel Spotless and with NO Color on the Patches then Im Not Happy. I dont need any Cleaning advice as I might not be the Best but I think I am at Cleaning...LOL
Anyway I cant get the Patches to come Clean after Cleaning and Cleaning the Barrel, it looks Spotless and Shiny but the Patches still come out with some (Rusty) color on them. It may be just because the Barrel is Steel and Not Stainless but it still bothers me to see it on the patches. Now it may be from some kind of Chemical Reaction to the Montana Bore Conditioner or whatever and it's probably no big deal as the ML still shoots great but I just cant get them Patches to come out Clean.
I may be Spoiled with My ACCURA Bergara Stainless Barrels as they clean up with just a few swipes and the patchec come out Clean, and I mean clean and white.
Should I just get over it and expect this from a Steel Barrel, or has anyone actually got a Blued Steel Barrel to be so Clean that after a cleaning your Patches really do come out clean and white.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Should I just get over it and expect this from a Steel Barrel, or has anyone actually got a Blued Steel Barrel to be so Clean that after a cleaning your Patches really do come out clean and white.
I have owned MANY blued barrels and I can only think of one that I would get a colored patch from. But that gun was a rescue gun and was badly pitted. I think what you're seeing is a chemical reaction.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I have gotten the same light rust looking effect when cleaning blued barrels. I just dry patch it until I get a clean patch and then the next patch is my oil patch. Seems to work for me. But I know exactly what you are seeing on that patch and it does make one mad.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

breechplug, after you clean with Montana try running some #9 through the barrel, then chase that with some good bore oil. I've had that with some of my Knights, I really think it's something in the Montana.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good blast of carburetor cleaner down the bore will solve your problem.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Spike

My kodiack rust just looking at it can't keep the rust out of it spoke to cva numerous times they just tell me it's my fault ,I don't clean it well and store it properly that's funny cause none of my other blues guns rust and they are all cleaned and store the same
Old 11-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
A good blast of carburetor cleaner down the bore will solve your problem.
Im not talking about the Throttle Body on My Mustang, it's My ML..LOL....SEMI Your so Funny...Thank's for making me really Laugh tonight, I need it and I've Missed You!
But seeing as how I really do take your Advice to Heart I'll try it. All I have is some Gum-Out Brand, hope it works
Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

i use birchwood casey gun scrubber after i clean my blued barrels. Spray it down and let it soak in the breech " traditional barrel" and then run some patches that are soaked in it as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mack166
My kodiack rust just looking at it can't keep the rust out of it spoke to cva numerous times they just tell me it's my fault ,I don't clean it well and store it properly that's funny cause none of my other blues guns rust and they are all cleaned and store the same
No it's Not You're fault....like I said Im a Clean Freak and after a shooting I Clean each and every part of My MLers so they look like they did when I bought them, but this dang Kodiak Barrel wont come clean even though it looks spotless.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

BP, you ever use the JB Bore paste? I use that on my bores and then give them a good scrubbing with the birchwood casey polishing cloth. Run a nice tight patch and it removes lead while polishing the bore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.