Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I did my part , now it's up to the kids.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pluckit
Have you ever tried making jerky with ground venison? I can get about 1 lb. of meat on a tray.It's not as long lasting, chew and flavor wise, as sliced jerky but it's a whole lot easier. You can season and cure cubes of meat and run it through the grinder, then refrigerate in a zip lock baggie for 24 hours and dehydrate. Or just take out some grinds that are already made up for hamburgers or whatever, thaw them, then cure and season and put it in a zip lock baggie for 24 hours. When I do it this way I use an electric blender to mix the grinds, spices and jerky cure together really well. You will need a Jerky Shooter, a modified caulking gun, and just squeeze it onto the trays. I just seasoned and cured 4 lbs. and will dehydrate it tomorrow. Here's where I got my setup from.
http://www.shop.himtnjerky.com/onlin...cat=254&page=1
Does it stay together?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It works very well. It won't fall apart. You have to break the sticks. They are easier to bite a piece off of also.
I also have a jerky board that cuts 1/4 inch thick slices on one side or 3/8 inch slices on the other so as to get the thickness uniform for even drying. I also have an electric slicer, but that is a pain in the butt to clean. All in all I have found the ground meat method the fastest and easiest way to go.

Last edited by pluckit; 11-16-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-31-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer sliced also. It tends to let you savor the flavor longer. But it's so much easier the other way.

Last edited by pluckit; 11-17-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've never tried that, but I make mine out of the breasts from geese.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by sqezer
I've never tried that, but I make mine out of the breasts from geese.
I will have to try that . My wife wants me to butcher a goose or two for thanksgiving. I have made Turkey jerky so I bet the goose will be good.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's Awsome, some Great Kids you have there!
I only have a Daughter, she's almost 23, but from the time she was little I took her out to watch me clean out Deer to Hang Tree Stands. I tell ya what she know's her stuff.
Watch out though and this is from experience, when the Kids get older make sure when you call them over to see your Deer to already have the Tenderloins out. I always wondered why My Daughter carried a Filet Knife in Her Truck, I finally figured it out one night
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thats great!
Good help there, Enjoy that Venison!

Mark
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Ground Venesion for Jerky, it's a-lot easier and a-lot easier to eat. I make Jerky Patties, Season the Ground in a Bowl, make the Patties thin and place them on a cookie sheet on waxed paper and put them in the freezer untill there firm. After there Firm then turn your oven on as low as it can go and put them in on another tray. They dont take near as long as a Dehydrator, mabey a couple of hours, you can tell by touch if there done, and are real tasty!
I also use the Ground Seasoned Cured Venesion in a Jerky Shooter (Caulk Gun) to make the (Sticks) they look like Slim Jims, or I make the (Fake) Jerky with the Caulk Gun too with a different attachment, it looks like the Jerky you buy in the store and do it in the oven too.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

I use around 50% of the meat from 1 deer to make jerky. My wife is not real fond of venison so I make a lot of jerky so it gets eaten. I slice mine and marinate for atleast 24 hrs. before putting it in the dehydrator. I also freeze the meat for a minimum of 30 days before making jerky. Venison has a lot of bacteria and it needs to be frozen for a month to kill the bacteria since dehydrators don't get hot enough to kill the bacteria. I read that more than once about venison jerky so that's what I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.