Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pellets are for dummies - Maybe not!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
with T7 pellets there might be
That's interesting, are you going to test that? I actually thought 777 pellets would have more velocity then pyro pellets. According to your numbers i think i'm wrong.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
But that doesn't seem to be the case with Triple Seven pellets. 3 Triple Seven pellets = 120 grains loose, or something in that neighborhood. I think I remember seeing each Triple Seven pellet is equal to about 40 grains loose, or something in that neighborhood.
I believe this to be incorrect. Regular T7 pellets are loaded down to be simular to real BP or the Pryro's loose powders.

100 grains of T7 pellets is about the same as 100 grains of loose BP or Pyro.

3 regular T7 pellets are equal to about 150 grains of loose BP or Pyro.

T7 loose on the other hand is about 15% more powder than a like amount of loose BP or Pyro.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

i do have T7 pellets but wont be able to test until the weekend.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

yep that makes sense SL.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I believe this to be incorrect. Regular T7 pellets are loaded down to be simular to real BP or the Pryro's loose powders.

100 grains of T7 pellets is about the same as 100 grains of loose BP or Pyro.

3 regular T7 pellets are equal to about 150 grains of loose BP or Pyro.

T7 loose on the other hand is about 15% more powder than a like amount of loose BP or Pyro.
You are correct.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Call me a dummy then because pellets are for me. Check out the target below and notice the two groups of 3 shots with the dots over them. The first two shots in the upper right along with one shot from the lower left group were from on trip to the range. The 3rd shot in the upper right and the other 2 shots in the lower left group were from a separate trip to the range. The uncovered shots were from a 3rd trip to the range where I moved the scope. I adjusted for the first shot on a cold, clean barrel. I do clean between shots btw.

My gun throws the first 1 or 2 shots on a cold clean barrel high and right. The rest are lower and to the left. So you can see, it will put bullets touching even in separate trips to the range. This is with two 50 gr Pyrodex pellets. With accuracy like that you can call me a dummy all day and I won't mind.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Call me a dummy then because pellets are for me. Check out the target below and notice the two groups of 3 shots with the dots over them. The first two shots in the upper right along with one shot from the lower left group were from on trip to the range. The 3rd shot in the upper right and the other 2 shots in the lower left group were from a separate trip to the range. The uncovered shots were from a 3rd trip to the range where I moved the scope. I adjusted for the first shot on a cold, clean barrel. I do clean between shots btw.

My gun throws the first 1 or 2 shots on a cold clean barrel high and right. The rest are lower and to the left. So you can see, it will put bullets touching even in separate trips to the range. This is with two 50 gr Pyrodex pellets. With accuracy like that you can call me a dummy all day and I won't mind
Looks like for a hunting load you have it dialed in !!!
I think its different strokes for different folks....
I see the benefit of the pellets, makes it nice and simple to reload and easy to unload.I wonder some day if BH209 will come in pellet form ?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

As soon as the local ChinaMart puts there ML stuff on clearance I am going to get a T 777
box and see what happens.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by donjose
Looks like for a hunting load you have it dialed in !!!
This was from my Knight Revolution. Now if only I could get my Encore dialed in like that. It may prefer a different bullet and sabot combo though. I am using Hornady SST 250 gr bullets and the red sabots that come with them. The Encore has a tighter barrel and maybe I should be using a different sabot. It shoots well enough for hunting, but doesn't group like my Knight does.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never bought or shot a pellet, because they are illegal here.

I doubt i'd use them anyway. Too expensive, can't fine tune the load, and I like pouring powder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.