Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt vs Barnes

Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Do you? Then you must own a Bone Collector.
I don't, but there sure are a lot of them sold. And I bet if you ask the owners they could tell you who the "Bone Collector" is.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

The deer would die from bleeding out and very quick. There are tons of arteries and veins in the hind quarter so you don't need to hit an organ to kill. I think most people that don't recover their deer just have a lack of tracking experience, or made a not so great shot and didn't give the deer time to die. Gut shots are very fatal as well but not when you push the deer all over the county.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless, Jon gives Powerbelts enough exposure to get them free.

I have no problem with that. He gives an honest report, and I don't see him hiding bad results.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get this? Honest about what? As far as I know. he hasn't lost an animal to a PB. You can't say they aren't accurate.
Honest about how there are many-many better options than the PB. He's shot the Thor and knows they are far superior. Honestly, I'd respect him a lot more if he'd just say 'I like Powerbelts because they're a CVA product'.

I honestly believe that a lot of the negative stories you read about PB's are hunter error. Someone claims they made a perfect shot and the animal ran away and was never found. Why should we believe they made a perfect shot if the animal got a way? He might have hit it in the butt. Butt shots don't kill.
I have a huntin' buddy who used PBs for probably 10 years. I've spent more nights than I care to remember tracking horrible blood trails or waiting for crows to find his deer the next day. We recovered most of them (maybe 1 or 2 we didn't find) and every one of them should NEVER have been that hard to track if he was shooting a better bullet. Lack of penetration and fragmentation was always the factor in his deer. 1 deer may be a fluke. 10 years of them is concrete evidence.

FWIW, last year he switched to Barnes and said he'll never shoot another PB again. He now jokes that if you want a pass through w/PBs you have to shoot them in the liver (this was based on his only pass through he ever received shooting PBs)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chaded
The deer would die from bleeding out and very quick. There are tons of arteries and veins in the hind quarter so you don't need to hit an organ to kill. I think most people that don't recover their deer just have a lack of tracking experience, or made a not so great shot and didn't give the deer time to die. Gut shots are very fatal as well but not when you push the deer all over the county.
You would agree it's not a safe shot? Bleeding out is never done fast. You could also miss arteries completely.

They will always die from a double lung shot.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Honest about how there are many-many better options than the PB. He's shot the Thor and knows they are far superior. Honestly, I'd respect him a lot more if he'd just say 'I like Powerbelts because they're a CVA product'.

I have a huntin' buddy who used PBs for probably 10 years. I've spent more nights than I care to remember tracking horrible blood trails or waiting for crows to find his deer the next day. We recovered most of them (maybe 1 or 2 we didn't find) and every one of them should NEVER have been that hard to track if he was shooting a better bullet. Lack of penetration and fragmentation was always the factor in his deer. 1 deer may be a fluke. 10 years of them is concrete evidence.

FWIW, last year he switched to Barnes and said he'll never shoot another PB again. He now jokes that if you want a pass through w/PBs you have to shoot them in the liver (this was based on his only pass through he ever received shooting PBs)
Of course the Barnes is better. You know i'll have a Thor loaded for the next elk season. I think the AL 300gr will be fine for does. If I don't like the results i'll use a 250gr Thor. That's a no brainer.

Why did your buddy take so long to switch? Did he ever try the Platinum PB? It's suppose to penetrate better.

I don't want to sound like i'm hocking PB's here. I just like to give something a fair chance. I've talked to too many hunters in this area that haven't had any problems with them.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

You would agree it's not a safe shot? Bleeding out is never done fast. You could also miss arteries completely.

They will always die from a double lung shot.
No I don't take the shot but it is a fatal one. I eat every deer I shoot so taking out a hind quarters is not really going to happen on purpose. You could miss the arteries, probably won't but you could. You could also miss the heart and lungs and gut shot too. My point is even a bad shot can kill but has to be dealt with properly. Also, hit a main artery and see how fast a deer loses enough blood to die. Its not long.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only way that shot might happen is a bad running shot. Always a chancy shot.

If someone misses the lungs and hits the rear quarter. They need to hit the range.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Thats not true. A lot of you know i get free stuff from many companies to try out and write reviews on. I've been using powerbelts since 2002, my second year of muzzleloading. I don't care what name brand is on the box, if i like it, i'll use it hardcore.

The Thor is a far superior bullet as ive said before. When you need a bullet thats going to pack a punch and get the job done, its going to be a Barnes bullet. I will use them for elk next year. Now most will argue that i need to use the 300gr Thor for elk but guess what? Im using the 250 because i know how that bullet performed and that its going to plant a bull or cow on its butt.

But for deer, the Powerbelts do me perfectly. I like many many bullets out there, i just prefer using the Powerbelts as ive had many years of great luck with them.