Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt vs Barnes

Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought the Aerolite was designed for 100gr Pyrodex as max load?

A bullet that explodes is a sure sign it's going too fast for it's construction.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by donjose
Maybe sometimes its better to dump all the energy in the target rather than have a extra hole ? Just saying
Sure, if you are shooting a thug in your home...

I've killed plenty of deer with rounds that stayed in them, from 22-250s to patched round balls...

But for most mortals who can't track like a Shawanee, an exit hole helps put more blood on the ground...A whitetail can run 50-125 yards with a good lung shot...I once saw a doe run 100 yards after shot with a 130gr Sierra GameKing from a .270 and a 100gr Sierra GameKing from a .243...Both bullets went through the lungs, one from left to right, the other when she whirled from right to left...

The only good thing about a PowerBelt is they load easy and they load easy...Will they kill deer??? Sure they will...

BUT THERE ARE MUCH BETTER BULLETS OUT THERE ESPECIALLY IF A HUNTER CAN USE SABOTS!!!!!!!!!

For those of you that live in States where your Division of Wildlife is dictating that you have to use a bullet the size of the bore then you are handicapped and have to abide by the law...It's too bad that those states wildlife departments are so ignorant but it is what it is......
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Berger bullets are designed to explode in animals. I think thats all they use on the Best of the west show, their elk and whatever they shoot, 96% of the time drop on the spot.

Its kind of one of those things where you just throw your hands up LOL. Some dont like bullets that fragment, dont punch through both sides of game, bullets that dont expand.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow that is some good information. You can bet I will definately be using Barnes MZ bullets next time I go out after gelatin. You can tell that the information was definately bias. They make it appear as though their MZ bullet is almost magical. I cannot recall ever having PBs shoot a 7" group for me! What they probably did was find the best load for the Barnes bullet out of that rifle and then compared it against all the other bullets. And we all know that most rifles like different loads for different bullet/sabot combos.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado seems to be unhappy with inlines, except the money they bring in. Sabots, scopes, and pellets are their last holdout.

One day they'll give up, and let us use everything.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought the Aerolite was designed for 100gr Pyrodex as max load?

A bullet that explodes is a sure sign it's going too fast for it's construction.
Muley the older PB's did the same exact thing, especially with shots taken at closer ranges. IMHO, the Aerolite is even worse, since the hollow point is larger than the older versions. any pure lead bullet with a large hollow point is going to do this. not just a PB, there is nothing to control expansion. which is exactly why when i shoot pure lead it has to be a metplate designed bullet with no hollow point.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Berger bullets are designed to explode in animals. I think thats all they use on the Best of the west show, their elk and whatever they shoot, 96% of the time drop on the spot.

Its kind of one of those things where you just throw your hands up LOL. Some dont like bullets that fragment, dont punch through both sides of game, bullets that dont expand.
Um. Jon a berger is designed more like a Lehigh and it's plated also. a PB and a Berger are not even near the same thing.your way to intelligent to still be defending a inferior bullet my friend, especially at the price there asking for them. your tests prior to the season were not good and not matter how you slice it. the performance you got on the deer you shot was horrible..
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

Im not defending anything, i used the Aerolite this year and experienced what it does to animals. I plan on using it more often as well. Except for my elk hunt.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Im not defending anything, i used the Aerolite this year and experienced what it does to animals. I plan on using it more often as well. Except for my elk hunt.
Lord, please forgive Jon, for he knows not what he does..you keep using that junk, better you than me nuff said..
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by builder459
Muley the older PB's did the same exact thing, especially with shots taken at closer ranges. IMHO, the Aerolite is even worse, since the hollow point is larger than the older versions. any pure lead bullet with a large hollow point is going to do this. not just a PB, there is nothing to control expansion. which is exactly why when i shoot pure lead it has to be a metplate designed bullet with no hollow point.
I understand that, but in the Barnes test it didn't expand at all with low fps. It was an older PB too.

I'm just saying. If the PB is exploding. Slow it down.

I have a doe tag left. I'm going to try an Aerolite with only 80gr of BH. Lets see how it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.