Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did I miss much?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Did I miss much?

Well guys, I made it back from Texas safe and sound. What a brutal drive coming right thru with 2 dirvers. (26 hr total). We lined the bed of the pickup with 1" insulation - the kind with the foil on both sides. Packed the meat in cheesecloth bags and iced it down real good and pullet the taneau cover over. Dropped it off at the buchers to get the qtrs processed. Two bison and a deer take up a lot of space in a Chevy Colorado pickup!
I'll only post my pic cause I don't want to post my friends without his permission.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guess I should post the pic!
Attached Thumbnails Did I miss much?-sweetwater-2011-005.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll bet you guys had a blast!!

Two Bison!! 3/4 ton truck??

How much do those weigh?? Obviously approx. weight.

This is gonna be a good story. Don't wait too long to tell us. Tom.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bison can weigh up to a ton.

They're BIG!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never ate wild Bison meat. I have had tame Bison from a couple of local guys who raise them. Plus there are also a few farms around here that mix them with cattle and call them Beefaloes. And that meat is also very good.

I would bet that wild Bison meat is very good also. Nothing but good grass and water. Just like good Black Angus. Boy I am making myself hungry. I am going to have to eat another Pepperoni roll with strawberry jam!!

Do the cows also have horns?? Or only the bulls?? Sorry but I am not very educated on Bison. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 10-23-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

bison, meat is really good. I get an chance once or twice an year at an local restaurant.

congrats, bronko. how that was an ext. cab. would not even think about trying that type of trip in my little old 98 s10
Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations Bronko. With a bow? I can not wait for the story.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Live weight of both were probably about 1200 lb. But once you remove the hide, head, entrails etc. you end up with about 650 - 700 lb. We weighed one hind qtr and it was 186 lb. (Yummmmm) That's a lot of steaks/roasts.
Surprisingly though, they are not that difficult to hunt. The trick is not to act like a predator/hunter or they will run off immediately. We drove around until we found a herd. Stopped about 200 yds away. Then you basically just walk up toward them. That's when you have to keep up with them because they will be walking away when you get too close. But in the mean time you have to try to anticipate which way they will go and try to cut them off, all the while looking for the one you want. And be careful you do not get between a cow and an calf or the herd bull and his cows. Either way it could get dicey. That's why the guide is carrying a big gun. Usually a .45-70 or 350 Rem Mag. Sooner or later they will either run off and you have to start all over again or they will stop and stare you down. Then hopefully the one you want will turn broadside and be 'in the clear' giving you a shot. I happen to get lucky and get mine on the first attempt after only following them for about 150 yds. And I got to 27 yds of the one I wanted. It turned b-side to walk away again but stopped to get another look at what we were up to. But long enough for me to slip an arrow thru both lungs. It only went about 100 yds before falling. But then we had to wait for the some of the herd to get away from it before we could approach. And even when they did leave and we were getting ready to take some pics, this bull came running back over the hill and coming down on us hard and fast. But the guide got his rifle at the ready and started yelling at him and he stopped, snorted a couple times and ran back up the hill. I'll tell you what - That is one big a$$ animal to have running at you at full speed. I'm glad he stopped short. Because I think in about 10 or 15 more yds he would have been plugged.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your success Bronko! Sounds like a great time and what a lot of meat.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations, maybe some happy returns?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.