Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Total Yeild

Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Spike

Hey Puckit,
Keep sending the PM's I cant stop from laughing !!!!!
No matter what you are still a trespasser, and dont keep your word
Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

riversmokepole

Take it someplace else...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
riversmokepole
Take it someplace else...
Yes. Please do. You've had your say, now give it over. We don't need that kind of stuff here.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pluckit - you must not be making it right if you don't like venison steak. Tell you what. Take a steak and dry it with a paper towel. Trim off all fat. (that's where the rancid or bitter taste comes from) Then rub a bit of vegtable oil and season it with seasoning salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides. Now get a cast iron fry pan hot. Now, throw that steak on the hot pan and it will sear all the juices inside. Leave it on that side for 2 1/2- 3 minutes then flip it over and sear the other side for another 2 1/2 to 3 mins. I guarantee you that you will enjoy it. It will be tasty, tender an juicy.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Pluckit - you must not be making it right if you don't like venison steak. Tell you what. Take a steak and dry it with a paper towel. Trim off all fat. (that's where the rancid or bitter taste comes from) Then rub a bit of vegtable oil and season it with seasoning salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides. Now get a cast iron fry pan hot. Now, throw that steak on the hot pan and it will sear all the juices inside. Leave it on that side for 2 1/2- 3 minutes then flip it over and sear the other side for another 2 1/2 to 3 mins. I guarantee you that you will enjoy it. It will be tasty, tender an juicy.

Thats what i am talking about!!!

I also think it is a sin to grind back straps!! you butterfly them, flour, salt and pepper to taste. cook on a low heat in a skillet with a lid. Make sure not to over cook. after done remove meat and make some gravy and return meat on a simmer while cooking some biscuits in the oven... okay now i am hungry!!! They make a great sandwich as well, without the gravy. you just have to cook slow and not over cook.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've always suspected that people who do not enjoy deer steak or roast have had them overcooked.

For roasts, I use a meat thermometer and cook them in the Weber Kettle - but not directly over the coals. When the internal temperature hits 120 the roast comes off the pit. I'll sometimes go as high as 130 if someone demands "well done", but never higher than that. But as Bronko said, all the fat must be removed.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I like to do the roasts on my Brinkman Smoker. I use apple wood chips for smoke. And always put a water bath under the roasts. I make sure all the silver skin is off the roast, and sometimes I will take hickory smoked bacon and lay that over the roast with tooth picks to hold it in place. The fat off that bacon really adds something to the roast.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

sometimes I will take hickory smoked bacon and lay that over the roast with tooth picks to hold it in place. The fat off that bacon really adds something to the roast.
I haven't done that Cayugad. But I just put it on my "to do" list.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad, that sounds like a great idea. I never smoked a roast, but it sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guy at work just brought in some deer bacon. It was one of the best ways I've had venison. He mixed ground venison with ground pork, I believe he said this was 60% venison and 40% pork. He then mixed in bacon seasoning from a butcher and packed it into loaf pans. The pans were refrigerated overnight and and then dumped out on the racks of his smoker and smoked about 10 hours then sliced thinly. If you have a smoker I highly recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.