Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How the pursuit lost her

Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How the pursuit lost her

Here is a view of the field.

The first doe was harvested at 6:57am. She came from the far left of the photo and walked around the brushy/forested out cropping seen just above the fallen tree. She made it to where the tip of the tree is (used as a reference point) on the other side of the field by the wood line and stopped and turned , looking right at me. I swear I had not moved. Well, maybe a little. She would not move, just kept looking at me. It was a straight on shot so I waited for her to put her head down and took the chance to move behind the tree I was sitting by so I could use it for a rest. I figured I would need one if I was going to try a dead on frontal shot. She looked up and as she continued to look my way I pulled the trigger. It was still today with almost no wind at all so all I could see after I shot was white smoke. And to make matters worse she was standing in the beans so I couldn't see if she was down or not.
I always wait an hour before going to check on a deer I have shot at. So I sat for 15 minutes and decided to walk about 150 yards back to the truck by the barn. I had to pee and I never do that anywhere near where I'm hunting. When I got back I still needed to wait another 30 minutes before checking on her so I sat down to wait.Five minutes later another doe appears on the right side of the field.
She was standing broad side about 15 yards or so from the point of woods on the right where the tall white weeds are. I put the cross hairs on her chest and with no rest, pulled the trigger. It was 7:28 am. Again, I see nothing but white smoke. So I reload and begin to start the 1 hour wait all over again. At 8:25 am I got up and walked to where I had shot at the second doe. Nothing there, no blood, nothing. So I take a few steps to the left to check on the first one I shot at and there she lay. Looked like she dropped right there where I shot her. I went back over to the spot of the second deer and started looking again and the person I hunt with shows up and starts to help me look for sign from the second deer. I couldn't have missed, it was less than 50 yards I think. Before he gets there I find blood. Good blood. We followed the blood trail over to the wood line on the left, then through the woods to the field on the other side. She was found in the middle of that field.The field is as wide as the one in the photo. The shot was a complete pass through with a very steady and good blood trail.
The rifle I was using was a 50 caliber Traditions Pursuit with the scope that came with it. A 2X7X32, I don't know the make. Traditions I guess. The load was a .45 caliber 240 grain XTP in a Thompson Center Mag Express sabot, they were bought in a pack and came together, on top of 2 fifty grain Pyrodex pellets touched off with a Winchester Triple Se7en 209 primer.
Here is a picture of where my ground blind is.

Last edited by pluckit; 10-27-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice game plot. Soybeans are deers preferred food.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Good hunt and and good story.
My Traditions Pursuit is the II XLT Guide Gun and I have been told that it has a Mcmillan barrel and should hold 1moa at 75 yards. I don't know if that is supose to be my model or all of the pursuit models.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

An excellent account of the hunt. Thanks for that and the pictures. Them deer are tough. They can take a good hit and still run a long ways.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Nice game plot. Soybeans are deers preferred food.
That's no game plot. That's one of the land owners bean fields. The land is set up with strips of woods between all the fields. It's perfect for cover for the deer, if they want it, when they pass through the property.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report pluckit. I enjoyed the read. I can't seem to get myself to wait that long after a shot. I usually give it fifteen minutes or so, and even that's hard.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to risk the chance of jumping then pushing a wounded deer. If I can see the deer after I've shot it and don't see it moving I won't wait that long. But in both of these cases I did't even know if I had hit them, let alone how well. After I found them and saw how well they were hit I knew I didn't have to wait so long. I remember telling myself yesterday, after both of the shots, that with all the practice at the range I've had this year there was no way I could have made a bad shot. But, you never know for sure if you can't see the deer when you shoot and don't see it laying there.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story and pics! I'm waiting for our season to start....