Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Considering a ML...

Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Considering a ML...

I'm considering buying a dedicated ML, ie I don't want or need a ML that can become a shotgun, a rifle, a bb gun, etc...

I know almost nothing about ML, and in fact the only reason I'm considering one is to hunt a different season/a better season, easier tag draws, and having a longer shot than a bow during many of the same seasons.

Seems like ID, WA, OR require the older style? although I def want a modern long range style ML, and have no real plans to hunt these states, I thought some other western states required no scopes or somethign to that affect, but perhaps these rules change often, but if you know of certain state rules please inform me.

I'm mainly looking to hunt IA deer with it, maybe IL deer, and perhaps a western state for elk etc...

From my limited research it appears the .50caliber is the .30-06 of ML, so that's what I plan to start with. I may want to shoot an elk with this.

I've seen those 3 pellets? but heard why bother with those? how hard is it to measure/load a ML accurately? vs. those 2 or 3 pellet method?

Please suggest some quality ML's... /the best...

I'm thinking synthetic stock/stainless, but open minded.

What's inline mean? primers? falling block?

How quickly can you reload a ML after a shot? ie.. if you miss can you be ready to shoot again in 1 min? 30secs? 5mins?

What's max range/accuracy for ML? 200yds? kill a deer at 200yds? an elk at 200yds? 300yds??
Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

As the name suggest, an inline muzzleloader is one where the ignition system is 'in line' with the bore. Unlike a Percussion cap sidelock or flintlock where the ignition system is to the side. Today's inlines are usually ignited using a standard 209 shotgun primer.
For what you're suggesting, deer and possibly elk, then you would be wise to get a .50 cal. The projectile options are almost endless and too many to go into detail here.
As for the rifle itself - again the sky is the limit. It all depends on your budget. Some manufacturers to look as are CVA, T/C, and Knight to name a few. IMO, the CVA Accuras are hard to beat for the price. And the Knights have started making some terrific rifles from the reports I am reading. Of course the price tags are also up there.
I am more of a traditional rifle guy. But there are others in here that use inlines a lot and they will have more input for you.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Sportsman's Guide has Knight Vison .50 caliber muzzleloaders in the blue, not stainless. But you'd be hard pressed to find a better name brand. I don't own one but from all the reports, they are good shooters. And if you care for a blued rifle, they last as long as a stainless steel. Did I mention they are on sale for $169.00?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

CVA Optima is my favorite inline as of now.

try www.rrarms.com they normally run in the $225 price range.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firea...ls.php?ID=8512
It is not the cheapest if that's what you want get an Impact.
yes 50 caliber has by far the most available variety of sabots and bullets.
Judging by what you have said you want the max range rather than being able to shoot in the states with goofy rules so stay away from the big heavy chunks of lead with out a sabot they have a rainbow trajectory and while they will travel a long way it requires a precise knowledge of drop and hold over that it takes many years to learn. The one in the picture I am recommending is a Triumph It is the best out of the box shooter I have ever seen and I have 15 muzzleloaders now and that's only because I sold a bunch of the out of date ones.
Inline refers to the ignition system being directly behind the breach plug.
We normally do not try to shoot over 2 hundred yards and that second hundred takes some preparation.
With this particular rifle I suggest Blackhorn 209 the new advance powder and the bullets that will normally give great accuracy with it is the Shock Wave, us the bonded ones for hunting and the yellow tip ones for target.
This is one of the guns I own and it has impressed me more than any other muzzle loader the other bullet that they will shoot with great accuracy is the Lehigh all most all the different weights are extremely accurate they are also quite expensive. Between the two you should be able to hunt anything.
I use win 209 primers for reloading because they give the best seal so I have less to clean.
If you don't understand cleaning a muzzleloader and the need to do it every time you shoot then read up on it before you ruin any guns.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I decided to get a Vision after posting. So I went to Sportsman's Guide to purchase on and thank goodness... they are out of stock!! THANK YOU!! I need to stop reading gun adds.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I'm considering buying a dedicated ML, ie I don't want or need a ML that can become a shotgun, a rifle, a bb gun, etc...

I know almost nothing about ML, and in fact the only reason I'm considering one is to hunt a different season/a better season, easier tag draws, and having a longer shot than a bow during many of the same seasons.

Seems like ID, WA, OR require the older style? although I def want a modern long range style ML, and have no real plans to hunt these states, I thought some other western states required no scopes or somethign to that affect, but perhaps these rules change often, but if you know of certain state rules please inform me.

I'm mainly looking to hunt IA deer with it, maybe IL deer, and perhaps a western state for elk etc...

From my limited research it appears the .50caliber is the .30-06 of ML, so that's what I plan to start with. I may want to shoot an elk with this.

I've seen those 3 pellets? but heard why bother with those? how hard is it to measure/load a ML accurately? vs. those 2 or 3 pellet method?

I'm thinking synthetic stock/stainless, but open minded.

How quickly can you reload a ML after a shot? ie.. if you miss can you be ready to shoot again in 1 min? 30secs? 5mins?

What's max range/accuracy for ML? 200yds? kill a deer at 200yds? an elk at 200yds? 300yds??
If you are brand new, there is a fair amount to learn, but it is not a huge task, and is a lot of fun IMO. A good way to learn is to search this forum for some basic ideas. I'll try and answer a few of your questions:

Inline refers to the "modern" muzzleloader where the primer, breechplug and barrel are all "in line" with each other, as opposed to a traditional sidelock where there is no breechplug and the flame channel for the primer (cap) comes in from the side of the barrel. For your purposes, you should stick with a modern "inline" that uses primers - (209 shotgun primers).

I would recommend buying a volumetric powder measure and using loose powder right away. Pellets are easy to use, but expensive and you cannot tailor your loads easily for the best accuracy and performance. A powder measure only costs $10 - 15 or so, and is very easy to use. I use a see-through model.

It depends on how much you practice and if you have speed loaders or not. I've reloaded in the field after shooting a deer in maybe 30 seconds or so, possibly faster- I've never timed myself. But I'm sure I can do it in 30 seconds with a speedloader, and that's without much practicing for speed.

Most muzzys are very accurate once you find the right load, the main problem with long range shooting is bullet drop and wind drift which affect muzzy's much more than centerfire rifles. I would say with the right load and some practice, 200 yards is do-able for most people. 300 yards is pushing it, although some people on this forum have been successful at that range with practice. The longest I've ever taken a deer was 108 yards. The longest shot anyone I've personally known took successfully was about 160 yards. I feel confident out to about 175 yards personally, but I do not have a range setup that allows me to practice much past 150 yards.

This is a hot topic, and everyone has their own opinion. A lot boils down to personal preference and what your budget is. The 3 big companies are TC, CVA and Knight. All 3 make good muzzys IMO. I have never shot a TC, so I cannot comment on them other than their reputation. I own both CVA and Knight. If you are looking for a budget muzzy it is hard to beat the Knight Vision or CVA Optima. Both can be had for around $200, more or less.
If you want to spend some more, Knight has several new models, the CVA Accura is in the $400 range, and TC has the Triumph that has a very good reputation.

Price does not equal accuracy, however. I have an old CVA that I bought for $120 new that shoots as well as many guns costing 4 or 5 times as much. However, when you handle it next to a more expensive gun, the differences in build quality are obvious.

I would go to a store that has several brands and types of muzzys and handle all of them and see which one "fits" you best. Best of luck!!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

They're that cheap!!!??? I assumed to spend $500-1000.

What's the best/most accurate out of the box?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, it you want to spend that much you have a world of options. But remember, sometimes the most expensive isn't the best. Some of the lesser priced (notice I didn't say cheaper) muzzies can shoot as good or better then the most expensive. You should go to a few places and check them all out. Find one with the things you like - break open vs. bolt, wood vs synthetic, etc, etc. And the get the one that has everything you want and feels good in your hands.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just assumed with all the hype, they cost what a decent rifle would cost...?

I'll just have to go check them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.