Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Considering a ML...

Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

No one has mentioned it yet, but I may as well be the one to break taboo...there's always the smokeless ml option - most notably, the Savage 10ml. Smokeless is not allowed in all states during ml seasons, my AZ, being one; however, the smokeless rifles can also use other black powder subs/black powder. If using smokeless, you go further toward meeting your goals of distant shots (2600 fps with 200 gr. bullet) and quick follow up shots (no swabbing between shots.)
Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...s.aspx?c=3&s=2
Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by donw
No one has mentioned it yet, but I may as well be the one to break taboo...there's always the smokeless ml option - most notably, the Savage 10ml. Smokeless is not allowed in all states during ml seasons, my AZ, being one; however, the smokeless rifles can also use other black powder subs/black powder. If using smokeless, you go further toward meeting your goals of distant shots (2600 fps with 200 gr. bullet) and quick follow up shots (no swabbing between shots.)
Thats a great idea but i wouldn't suggest smokeless to a novice unless he has a good reloading background and understands how smokeless powders function vs most subs. He could certainly use any sub though until he is VERY comfortable moving up to the next level. New ones are only offered in blued also and if you use subs, cleaning them is a bit more tedious than most sub guns.

The Savage is a fairly heavy gun when its in "ready to hunt" mode and the breach isn't open which is required in the most restrict states. Also getting a 200gr and im assuming you mean a 40cal SST or Barnes 195gr into the 2600fps range is a difficult task with smokeless. Its drills those sabots very easily after about 2000-2200fps depending on the powder and temps. Swapping out to a McGowen, Douglas or Pacnor 45 barrel though makes it pretty simple and swapping the barrels is fairly easy with the barrel nut wrench.

2600fps though is quite possible with a 200-250gr 45cal sabotted bullet and a large amount of one of the slower powders but recoil becomes brutal when you start making over 3500fpe at the muzzle with a large total ejecta weight. Thats why most people seeking that fps move on to the 45cal SML conversions and use sabotless 45s if they want a heavier bullet option too.

The "conversions" though are usually even heavier than the OEM barrel due to the heavier barrel contour and smaller bore. Just my Pacnor 45 barrel weighs about the same or more than my NULA.

I own all three and the NULA is my favorite of them all but thats a big chunk of change to invest and a few month wait to get one.

I wont say what i think is the best for the OP simply because its too subjective and whats perfect for me may only be mediocre for him or he simply looses interest after a large investment. IMO most of the low to mid priced new MLs with a sealed breach are a good start for the novice until he decides how much he likes shooting them. The Impact in WeatherShield or Optima in SS fill this requirement pretty well IF he likes them. Both are fairly simple to use and maintain but he wont lose much if he decides to sell them for whatever reason later on.

If the "addiction" kicks in, nature will take its course and the OP will be in a better position to decide which path fits his needs best.