Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off to the Woods I Go!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hey good luck teammate!! Have fun and be safe, save some of those deer for the muzzy!!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Well guys I got back yesterday and it was good to get back.

Hunting was good! I ended up taking down two nice does. We had a good group of hunters at camp and we only took three. My two and one small buck (3 pt.). That buck and two other small spikes were the only mails we saw. The beasts were hanging low I guess! Well I hope to see them during ML season.

The first doe was taken in the morning at about 0930. That morning I saw a total of five deer. She came into the area with a nice spike. She made me I thought, because she looked straight at me at a distance, but still came in. I finally took her when she came to my 25 yd marker tree. I figured she was a few yards pst it. I was using my Tenpoint GT-Curve crossbow and three blade Muzzy broadheads. At first I didn't think I hit her. She reacted like the bow noise made her run. She ended up running about 130 yds. I got out of my stand and found the arrow and thee was loads of blood where she stood! When I ranged the spot, it turned out to be 38 yds back to the stand. I try not to go more then 30 yds, sue to the noise of my bow. Crossbows are inherently loud and deer will react to it with the deer dip. This makes for a missed shot at times. I didn't have any problems finding her with a big blood trail. Stevie Wonder could have followed this blood trail!

The second doe was taken in the afternoon. I was in a tower stand in a favorite crossroad of trails. At about 1800 I had two small yearlings and I got ready for the momma to show. I was hoping she was a large doe for the meat. Well she was, but she spooked me when she came in from behind me from where I was waiting for her. At first she came right under my stand and went about 20 yds and then turned right and took a few steps and snapped around and looked right at me and blew and ran. She got out to about 60 yds and then came back to about 30 yds and gave me a broadside shot. She then ran about 40 yds and piled up in the most nasty of stuff I didn't know was on our property. I had to get down on my knees to get her out.

All in all I had a great time. I will be going back the first week of November and do the last week of bow then the first two weeks of ML season. I still have four tags left so no problems.

I only have two photos of the does. One in the cooler hanging and one of the wound shot. For some reason I can't upload my pics to my photo account. Will do it later.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wrong thread. oops
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's just fine rafsob. There's nothing like meat in the cooler early in the season. It takes the pressure off.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I thought I would post a photo of the one deer I took:

And this one in the cooler: