Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

drop at 200yds

Old 10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ron..........That looks better than a 100yd hold. What do you think?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ron..........That looks better than a 100yd hold. What do you think?
I think the choice is bossmoss'.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I asked what you thought. Boss got his question answered.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

It really doesn't matter what you use as zero, so long as you know the trajectory of your load and have a reasonably accurate estimate of the distance when you shoot at game. It's not all that difficult to place your sight center of chest, or at the top of the back, or six inches over the back.

But you must know your actual trajectory. I do a "trajectory study" with every gun and hunting load and keep the record. Shoot three shots each at 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 and 175 yards. Then you know two things for sure; (1) the limit of your practical hunting accuracy, and (2) where to place your sights for any particular shot.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

It really doesn't matter what you use as zero, so long as you know the trajectory of your load and have a reasonably accurate estimate of the distance when you shoot at game. It's not all that difficult to place your sight center of chest, or at the top of the back, or six inches over the back.

But you must know your actual trajectory. I do a "trajectory study" with every gun and hunting load and keep the record. Shoot three shots each at 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 and 175 yards. Then you know two things for sure; (1) the limit of your practical hunting accuracy, and (2) where to place your sights for any particular shot.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I find 6-7" holdover easier to use than 14" at long distances, but that just me.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane

Exactly what i do, as well!! but the reason i zero at 100 is 99% of my shots are at 100 or less. Here in Indiana, where i hunt. unless you are on fields, which i rarely hunt, you will not have a long shot...

it has been my experience that the big boys don't play in the fields, unless it is after legal shooting light or during the rut.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I find 6-7" holdover easier to use than 14" at long distances, but that just me.

That would be called, a preference!!! but really what is the difference??? whether you hold 6 or 12 you are holding over... When the biggest game you hunt is a whitetail and you hold at the top of the back 12-14" down is all, a dead deer... sounds simple to me!!

bottom line is practice at the distances you plan to shoot... that way when the time arrises, you are confident in your ability to make the shot...
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always think in terms of elk. 6-7" is still in the kill zone.

I've never even seen a whitetail in my part of Colorado.