Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bulged Barrel Problem!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Bulged Barrel Problem!!!

Well I finally got my Hawkins Carbine back in shooting order. If you don't remember, I bulged the barrel of my .54 cal Hawkins. I played hell trying to find a replacement barrel.

I went to Cabala's, Lyman and even InvestArms in Italy to see about getting this barrel. Green Mtn had a .54 cal barrel, but with a 1 in 70" twist rate and 32" long. I needed a 1 in 24" and 21" inch barrel. All turned up no luck!!!

In dropped IdahoRon with an exact replacement used barrel. He sent to me and I tried it out and liked it. I bought it from him.

As to shooting the new barrel, it was just as good as my old barrel. It shot the Barnes Expander sabots nicely. This is my hunting round so that was very important to me. It also shot a variety conicals great. I am back in business, and all thanks to my IdahoRon!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent. Now cut up the other barrel and build yourself a nice pistol.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Semisane
Excellent. Now cut up the other barrel and build yourself a nice pistol.
I thought about something like that. I took a measure and if I have the barrel cut down, it will come out to a 15" barrel on the rifle stock. I am sure I can do this, because MLs don't come under the rifle gun restrictions. I will call ATF in Norfolk, Va. and find out from them. While still on the job, I used to talk to them often about work.

anyway, my friend wants to do the work for me and this will be a nice little carbine for the woods. Hopefully it will shoot good. If that doesn't work, I can always make a handgun from it. I did want one to play with.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will call ATF in Norfolk, Va. and find out from them.
Don't bother. It's perfectly legal.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I am glad to hear all is well and back in business again.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear that you liked it. I kept that barrel after breaking the stock. I was thinking about trying it out on another stock. I got to doing other stuff and it just sat in the gun rack. When I heard about your problem I thought this guy need this WAY more than I do. If anyone is looking for hardware for a cabelas hawken with a plastic stock I have more parts. Lock, hammer triggers, guard.
Good luck with it. I was happy to be able to help. Ron
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

RA, could you possibly cut the barrel to 17" or so and put a QAL on the end? Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by bronko22000
RA, could you possibly cut the barrel to 17" or so and put a QAL on the end? Just a thought.
Not really, the bulge is just 5 and 1/2" down the barrel. If all goes well, the barrel should run just about two inches past the end of the stock. It should really look and hopefully shoot great!!! I will take pictures when it is done and post.