Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 in the cold?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
CVA OEM plugs work perfect without modification to the flash hole or channel. Proper head space adjustment is more important than a dished out plug face...........................
Aren't you the same person that wrote he drilled out his CVA OEM breech plug flash hole to 0.035" to make them work with BH209. You also wrote that you were able to fire thousands of shots through said breech plug with zero erosion of that enlarged flash hole. Now that is laughable!

The old OEM CVA plugs worked so well igniting BH209 that CVA is now offering for sale on their website BH breech plugs designed to better ignite BH209. The new CVA breech plugs look like this:

CVA sure wasted a lot of money making new more better for igniting BH breech plugs, it seems.

Don't forget, we were addressing sub-zero temperatures.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

SuperKirby,
Good question, i will send you a PM later.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Aren't you the same person that wrote he drilled out his CVA OEM breech plug flash hole to 0.035" to make them work with BH209. You also wrote that you were able to fire thousands of shots through said breech plug with zero erosion of that enlarged flash hole. Now that is laughable!

The old OEM CVA plugs worked so well igniting BH209 that CVA is now offering for sale on their website BH breech plugs designed to better ignite BH209. The new CVA breech plugs look like this:

CVA sure wasted a lot of money making new more better for igniting BH breech plugs, it seems.

Don't forget, we were addressing sub-zero temperatures.
"
I used to follow Western powder recommending the .035" flash hole. Ever since learning to adjust the head space, ZERO trouble on a factory plug set up.

Aren't you the one that claimed to have worn out a lehigh liner in 109 some odd shots? Now THAT is laughable
Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
........................Aren't you the one that claimed to have worn out a lehigh liner in 109 some odd shots?....................
I made no 'claims'. What i wrote is i witnessed the brazed in vent liner grow from 0.031" when new, to 0.035" after 108 shots. I didn't think it was so very laughable, because i had paid $52.30 for the breech plug. It seemed to me there was an issue when the vent liner was brazed, or perhaps beings how they knew they were going to braze the vent liner they didn't harden it. Either way i was quite surprised it eroded so quickly. I know what i measured.

I didn't consider the breech plug to be worn out when the flash hole in the vent liner grew to 0.035", but i was fortunate to receive another breech plug from a friend. The fact i had a spare plug allowed me to have at removing the brazed in vent liner. It turned out to be not so very difficult to drill away the vent liner, and now i am using that plug with a newly installed vent liner.

Myself, i have shot my Accura some less than 2000 times, and it is obvious to me from this experience that an OEM breech plug made by CVA will not withstand thousands of shots without suffering erosion of the flash hole. This is why i laughed when i read your statement of zero erosion in thousands of shots.

This thread is about whether BH209 has ignition issues at sub-zero temperatures, and the answer is it doesn't.....................

Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gee Grouse, I still don't have one yet. Guess I'll check later.

Thanks for the pictures Ron. I'll have to check later but I believe the end of my Pro Hunter plug is shaped differently. I can't remember though. I'll let you know when I pull it out later.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SuperKirby

Thanks for the pictures Ron. I'll have to check later but I believe the end of my Pro Hunter plug is shaped differently. I can't remember though. I'll let you know when I pull it out later.
Your pro-hunter plug is shaped differently. Ron likes to add a powder pocket in his creations. It actually moves the powder closer to the primer which moves it closer to an Omega type plug. It is a good theory and by math should and does work fine. I prefer to keep the flash channel at the end of the plug. It creates a flash chanel that has greater volume to reduce the pressure on the blow back pressure on the nose of the primer.

To me the key is the size of the flash channel - opening it to a larger diameter allows the plug to breath and be more efficient while also increasing the volume of the flash channel.

The pictures are small so you might have to magnify them...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I realize this thread is about cold weather. But if BH-209 is more like smokeless powder than Black Powder. Then I would think the temperature sensitivity would be toward the high end of the temperature range?? Not the low end. Unless we are talking really low temperatures??

My concern would be more about the sensitivity of the powder in the 90* to 100* range?? Or in the hot sun??

I would think the key to cold shooting would be to keep the channel completely clean?? And the powder as dry as posible. Even if this powder is not suppose to be hygroscopic. I would still think that direct moisture would still effect it??

All this coming from a guy who has only shot about 25 shots with BH-209. But I have put 10 of thousands of CF rounds down range. And that has been my experience with different CF powders. I always shoot a powder that is not temperature sensitive in my CF's.

Also where I live, when the temperatures are cold then the mositure in the air is very high. So I would not be sure if it was the temperature that effected the powder? Or the moisture?? Even if the powder is not suppose to be hygroscopic?? I would think that direct moisture would still effect the powder?? Am I wrong about that?? Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 09-27-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby

Sorry, you got it now.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot it in -5 with no problems in a stock Omega BP.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I shot it in -5 with no problems in a stock Omega BP.
My experience is the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.