Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope ideas for my knight original disc

Old 09-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default scope ideas for my knight original disc

first, I can't afford much. I may be able to save up $100 for an scope. that is pushing it. the boss is already going to kill me two guns in the last month lol.

first thoughts where just switch the scope off my knight usak, 5yr old tasco pronghorn that has seen action on two guns already.

second, buying an new pronghorn.

third, an tc scope package.

4th, an cva bashnall (I know i did not spell hat right) package

5th, save up for the one I spell very wrong lol,

kinda up in the air right now on what I am going to do.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Corey you ought to look at the Vortex line, great scopes and clear as a bell!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Since you have little money.. look at a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm. They are inexpensive and have good glass. It will do you fine on that rifle.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad's advice is good. They're good scopes (I have five) and are $40 at Natchez Shooters Supply. Best price anywhere.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...TOKEN=96193599
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by corey012778
first, I can't afford much. I may be able to save up $100 for an scope. that is pushing it. the boss is already going to kill me two guns in the last month lol.

first thoughts where just switch the scope off my knight usak, 5yr old tasco pronghorn that has seen action on two guns already.

second, buying an new pronghorn.

third, an tc scope package.

4th, an cva bashnall (I know i did not spell hat right) package

5th, save up for the one I spell very wrong lol,

kinda up in the air right now on what I am going to do.
Corey PM me... I have an inexpensive 1.5/4.5 x 32 you can have if you want it and think it might work for you.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

since talking about the simmons scopes
what about this one.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...eticle%20Matte

on top of an rebate.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you decide to go with that one, be sure to file for a $10 rebate. But, except for a little more magnification, I see no real advantage of a 1.5-5X over a straight 4X.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/downloa...own_Rebate.pdf
Old 09-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

What Cayugad and Semisane said. This is a real good scope for the money: My 20 gauge rifled barrel shotgun has one.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

From you guys that have ordered the Simmons Pro Daimonds from Natchez, would anyone mind checking on the bottom of it to see where it says it's made? Thanks.

That being said, I've read nothing but good about them.

Personally, I'd try to find a used Burris Fullfield II. I've found a few for $100 after lots of searching and if you don't need a scope right away this is the way I'd go. IMO it's one of the best scopes out there for under $200.

Vortex also makes some good scopes, but I'd stay away from their Crossfire line. Make sure you go with the Diamondback or Viper, but I don't know that you will find one for $100. The Vortex Viper 2-7 on sale for $150 at SWFA is a great deal though.

On the cheaper side of things,
I've had good luck with the cheaper Simmons 8 Point scopes. Another one I've used is the Tasco Bucksight or whatever they call it at Walmart that looks almost identical to the Proghorns and I had good luck with it, but a few friends bought them and have had mixed results. I have 3 friends that bought them and had great luck. One of them actually has one I sold them that I used for 2 months while my Leupold was being repaired. The others bought their own. Then I have 3 friends that claim they have issues with them, however, they haven't done much testing and have been quick enough to rule the scopes as bad that I have serious doubts.

The first one bought a brand new Omega and put one on it. They never could get it sighted in as it shot all over the place. He insisted the scope was bad and that he didn't have time to mess with a Tasco, so he took it off and put on a equally cheap Bushnell. I never saw him shoot with the Tasco, but I did see him shoot with the Bushnell and he had a horrible time getting it sighted in still. This thing still shot all over the place. Finally he got it shooting decent enough that he could hunt with it. Seeing this though makes me wonder if the Tasco really was bad, or if he just tossed it before really testing it.

His brother also bought one of the Tascos and a new Omega and his shot great for the first year. The second year he shot a deer with it and missed. Then he shot at a few more and said he'd make a hit, then he'd miss, then make a hit, then miss. He said it could have been him, but he suspected the scope and once he replaced it he hasn't missed since. That being said, this guy is one of the best shots in the group of guys we hunt with, but he never shot it at paper to confirm it wasn't holding zero and instead just put something else on there, so this puts a doubt in my mind if it really was him or not.

The other friend borrowed a muzzle loader that had one on it. He is good friends with the other two, and I think he'd formed his opinion of it being junk based on what they told him, however being broke he had no other options. He is also an extremely good shot, and I've seen him shoot many groups free hand that you'd swear came off of a fancy rest. Many of the guys in this area get him to zero rifles for them, but he is also one of the guys that will shoot 1-2 shots and call it good, and also doesn't seem to know much about his equipment or how to properly use it. For example when sighting in a semi auto he had, he never let the barrel cool insisting it should be okay. I know it was shooting way off by the time he was done just from the heat.

Anyway, he sighted this one in and said it was good. Then we noticed 2 days later the rings had worked loose and you could move them around by hand. He tightened them down and went back to sight it in, which he did just fine. He then said he discovered over the next week that the scope wasn't holding zero. I just wonder if the rings were that loose if something else wasn't loose that he didn't tighten. It may have been the scope being bad, but I just have my doubts on this one too.

So overall, all of the people I know that have had bad experiences with these things it's been questionable if the scope was actually bad.

On the other hand, I've had one on my muzzle loader for several years now and it seems to be working great and has decent glass. The only thing that's ever made me doubt mine was I sighted it in last year before hunting season as I'd removed it prior to that to recenter the crosshairs. I made two shots about 2" right, then I made 2 shots dead center in the bullseye. Not sure which one of them was me pulling I figured it was fine and put it up. Then I later made a couple of shots off of the tail gate of my truck and found I was roughly centered around the bullseye, but it was hard to get it perfectly still. I didn't have any 2" right, but I got about a 2" group centered on the bullseye. I only shot 3 shots.

So I hunted with it and did fine. At the end of the season I took the muzzle loader out of the stock, and gave it a great cleaning all over, and then I put it away. When I took it out a few months later it was shooting about 2" right consistently. I don't know if the scope shifted zero, if it was originally hitting 2" right and the 5 shots in the bullseye were me pulling instead of the 2 shots that went right, or if taking the gun out of the stock and putting it back in changed the POI as I know that can happen. I shot it quite a few times after rezeroing it, and it shot a great group as usual right in the bullseye. I even banged on it some to see if it shifted and it didn't so I feel like it probably wasn't the scopes fault. I've put it up and I'm going to check it again before hunting season just to make sure it's not shifting over time. However, it's been a surprisingly good scope for the $30 I payed for it 4 years ago.

I'd certainly put another one on my gun long before I went into the woods with open sights. Would I take it on a African Safari, or some other expensive hunting trip? Hell no, but for shooting at the range and hunting in the state I like it. The only thing I I don't like is the fact I'm always worried about it from how much smack the guys online talk about Tasco. However, so far it's never given me a reason to doubt it.

I do like other higher end scopes a lot better and the majority of my guns wear something much higher priced, but this scope does seem to do it's job, and glass wise while the others are better it's not a huge difference and the Tasco would work fine.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

From you guys that have ordered the Simmons Pro Daimonds from Natchez, would anyone mind checking on the bottom of it to see where it says it's made? Thanks.
It says "Designed and Engineered in the USA" in large print, and "Manufactured in China" in small print (just like the keyboard you're using right now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.