Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope ideas for my knight original disc

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

7. It never was, 10-4
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
It says "Designed and Engineered in the USA" in large print, and "Manufactured in China" in small print (just like the keyboard you're using right now).
Sounds good, sounds just like the 3-9x40 Blazer scope I had actually as that's what it said. Unlike some guys I've not had many problems with scopes made in China, I just wondered if this is where it was made, or if it was made in the Philippines as some of their scopes are.

I also wonder if there is a big quality difference between this and the fixed power 8 Point scopes, or if the parallax setting is the only difference since this is a shotgun scope. Anyone know?

Also, anyone use these in variable powers, if so how have they held up?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It says "Designed and Engineered in the USA" in large print, and "Manufactured in China" in small print (just like the keyboard you're using right now).
this is how I see things.
Made in from somewhere else ---> man in costumes must handle them ---> some one in the USA distribution system must handle them ---> someone in USA wholesale warehouse must handle them ---> someone in an USA retailer must handle them---> the shipper that sends someone to pick up the order must handle them---> an handler(s) (can be up to 10+ people) at the shipper must handle them ---> loader for the truck that will bring them to you must handler ---> then the driver of the friendly truck must bring them to you.

things may move around if you buy from an local gun shop. but that system is there.

I figure about 100+ workers still have Americans employed in the mix.

now this said, I may have started an made in USA VS foreign made debate.
this is my view, please respect that.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corey I guess I am going to go completely against the grain of all the other guys. Personally I think the optics on a hunting rifle are more important than the actual rifle itself. I would put a $1,000 scope on a $200 rifle. But I would never put a $200 scope on a $1,000 rifle.

In other words save up, sell a few rifles, and buy some high grade optics. You will be better off in the long run. One good rifle with one great scope IMO is far better than 10 rifles and 10 cheap scopes. You get what you pay for. Tom.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

tom,
I really can't do any of options. the boss would have my hide if I do that, if fact we are trimming the budget a little more. for selling an gun or two, I have what I want. besides, the guns I own won't go for much. I know my 54cal hawken won't get what I put into it. sorry $1k scopes are out of the question.

I beleave there are some low to mid range scopes that are just as good.

I respect your point of view.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corey I may have made a mistake in my post. I was not recommending a $1,000 scope. But I did make it sound that way. So please accept my apology.

My point was to try and pick up a better quality scope. For example I have seen some nice fixed 4X Leupold's for $175 to $200. And that would make a fantastic scope, at a great price. And good top quality. That is what I was trying to say, but it came out wrong, again, sorry.

You are young. And a fixed 4X or 6X scope will last you your life time. I know I have some nice 4X and 6X scopes I bought in the 70's. And they are running strong. So my point is think a little long term with what you buy. A good 4X Leupold will never go bad in your lifetime.

I have seen some great buys on great used scopes lately. And the best part about a used Leupold is that you can buy with 100% complete confidence. If you have any problems Leupold will simply fix it. And I don't thik anyone else has that simple of a warranty?? Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 09-27-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

A top quality scope is a wonder to behold. Clear and sharp right out to the edges. On the other hand, is it really any better for putting a bullet where you want it at normal muzzle loading hunting ranges? I don't think I could shoot a better 100 yard group with a $1,000 Leica, Zeiss or Leupold than I can with my $40 ProDiamond.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

funny thing, was going to go little higher. on the budget. finding nikons for around $150. another case down from it, bushell silver, thinking about switching the scope on my silver eagle to my disc if I get that one
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the other hand, is it really any better for putting a bullet where you want it at normal muzzle loading hunting ranges?

IMO the answer to that question is yes. I am not talking about a sunny afternoon at the range. I am talking about real world hunting conditions. And I personally know for sure that I have shot more deer and game in my life with better quality optics. Heck I have some rifles that I have not had to touch the adjustments for 20 years.

So yes I believe there is a big difference.

I remember one elk season in October in CO. It snowed 3-1/2' of snow at 10,000 ft. and above. You could not even light a match at camp things were so damp. Heck dry wood had trouble burning. Biggest mess I have ever seen with moisture. My scope came through with flying colors. A couple other guys were falling back on their open sights. Their scopes were worthless. So yes it makes a big difference. Just my opinion. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 09-27-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Spike

I have had good success with several Nikon ProStaff scopes. I like the 2-7x32mm "Shotgun Scope" on my in-lines. I bought a 3-9x32mm from Cabela's Bargain Cave for under $100 and it has worked fine for several years now.

I also have bought the $30 Tasco from Walmart and it has been a solid performer on a Huntsman that I have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.