Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Colorado hunting trip results

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'll bet you a dollar against three cents that with the number of hunters you indicate were in that area, and with everyone running around on ATVs, every deer for miles around instantly became nocturnal and laid low all day.

Mighty pretty country.
Would be my guess. Or vacated the area completely. Anytime you can drive right into camp I expect more hunters than deer.

Last edited by SJAdventures; 09-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Spike

Beautiful country ya got out there, no people, just wide open spaces! Wonderful! Lots of deer here in Ohio, but the scenery out there is sumthin! Seems like it was a fu n hunt even without the venison !
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll bet you a dollar against three cents that with the number of hunters you indicate were in that area, and with everyone running around on ATVs, every deer for miles around instantly became nocturnal and laid low all day.

Mighty pretty country.
Semi in that high country a lot of times the deer will move to what i always called the "mid" elevation. not the valley but between the two.with prolonged rain storms and much cooler temps. i would have moved to a bit lower elevation.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know nuttin `bout them mountain thingies.

The highest point in Louisiana is Driskill Mountain (535 feet). I don't think the deer bother moving up and down it much.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice report and nice pics! That is beautiful country. Too bad you guys didn't have any luck, but it just sounds like that area is maybe over-hunted and the deer have moved away or wised up.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know nuttin `bout them mountain thingies.

The highest point in Louisiana is Driskill Mountain (535 feet). I don't think the deer bother moving up and down it much.
Yep your a flat lander for sure
Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I feel the same way Flounder. I go up the cabin for bear every year and I really don't care if I shoot one. Its just nice spending 3-5 days with the guys in camp. Just talking about hunting, guns, and women. And we all know a lot about the first two, but that third subject we can never figure out.
Our camp is about like your tent except it has rigid walls and roof. But no running water or elec. Just a place to get in out of the wet and cold.
I am in charge of Sunday dinner again this year. So I will be bringing along a huge bison roast and will have mashed potatoes, gravy and some sort of veggie. I'll make the roast in the pressure cooker and it will melt in your mouth.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds great bronko. It's amazing how good the food tastes on a trip like that.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
That sounds great bronko. It's amazing how good the food tastes on a trip like that.
It sure does. Our club has a couple of 60 lb. hogs in the freezer that we caught in a trap a few weeks ago. They will hit the grill sometime during deer season.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Mighty pretty country.
Hee in Virginia and my hunt camp we use our ATVs to get around. We have some rough backwoods to get around in. Plus most of us old guys need 'em to get to the stands.

Nice country side. Been out west years ago and loved it out there. You have a nice slice of heaven there. Enjoy it.