Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

low rings on an Omega?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default low rings on an Omega?

I am going to pick up an Omega and I was wondering about scope rings. I have already decided to go with a one piece DNZ EER mount, but I am not sure what height. I know that most people go with a medium on the Onega, but I like my scope as low as possible. I'd like to put low rings on it, but I can't find whether they would fit or not. It seems like that could be any issue with the hammer. Does anyone run low rings on an Omega?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Low rings would not work for me. I switched to the Talley one piece base and rings. To close to the hammer on the Encore and Omega for me.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I wonder if it would work if I picked up a 2-7x33 scope?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to run low rings there is enough room for the bell of a 40 objective scope. Getting to the hammer easily is the issue. A 2-7 will do nothing to help that IMO as its still going to be in the same spot by the hammer. The low vs medium DNZ mount is 1/8th if that helps any.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have low rings on my Encore, and I had low rings on my Omega with a 40m objective lense scope. I was able to **** the hammer, but I had to be very careful when doing it. If I was a snap shooter hunter I would not go with low rings. I strictly stand hunt, and never shoot at an alerted deer, so I can take my time when ****ing the hammer. If I had to do it fast I would pass on the low rings. It is strictly a gloves off procedure.

You can also look at a fixed power scope with the sleeker eye piece to give yourself some more room.

Low will be tight. But they will work.

Personally I like the Warne bases and rings. They are longer so you can get more room between the rings. As well as having more than one setting. Tom.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my Omega with low rings. It works. Loading and unloading primer is the hardest thing for me.

Sometimes my fingernail are cut too short, and this makes it harder to handle primer. Pulling back the hammer hasn't been an issue. A 33mm Objective fits easily, and i guess a 36mm objective would work.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

DNZ Game Reaper Low on Omega:

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
DNZ Game Reaper Low on Omega:

I'm assuming that is a 3-9x40? That looks just about right!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
If you want to run low rings there is enough room for the bell of a 40 objective scope. Getting to the hammer easily is the issue. A 2-7 will do nothing to help that IMO as its still going to be in the same spot by the hammer. The low vs medium DNZ mount is 1/8th if that helps any.
Thanks for the heads up on the DNZ mounts, best i have ever set on top of a rifle and they look sweet to boot!!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Correct, 3-9x40. The awesome thing about these mounts is that they are perfectly aligned...NO fussing with rings! These should really catch on like wildfire. What I don't understand is that there are several manufacturers using this one-piece design, but you'd think it would have been patented by someone in the first place.

Oh...and I have no issue whatsoever getting to the trigger or the breechplug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.