Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have some T/C's that are a Knight equivelant

Old 09-18-2011, 06:05 AM
mountaineer magic

Default I have some T/C's that are a Knight equivelant

I was thinking that a Knight sidelock would sure be cool, but I know it will never be a possibilty , seeing Knight has always been an inline company and pioneer of inlines.Then i thought about the fact that all Knights have Green Mountain barrels. well I have sidelocks with Green Mountain barrels, so my T/C hawken with the sharpshooter barrel 1:24 twist is a Knight equivelant. Right??? Just a thought. Do you think the barrel makes the biggest difference or a combination of all components and how they work together. Just curious as to your thoughts. With so much talk about putting the CVA Bergara barrels on a T/C then what about a Green Mountain barrel on a T/C . Are we basically turning our guns into a CVA or Knight gun??

Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Since the barrel isn't the only component of a gun, even though a very important one I would say no you are not turning your gun into another brand by putting on a different barrel. Think about if you put like a custom barrel from Pac-nor for example, you wouldn't say yeah I have a Pac-nor gun. You would say I have a T/C, savage, etc. with a Pac-nor barrel on it.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Dominant Buck

While Knight might use Green Mountain Barrels, I don't think putting a GMB on a T/C makes it a Knight. Anymore so then putting a Bergera barrel on a Encore makes it a CVA. All you've done is added custom parts. It the rifle shoots well, its because the parts you have assembled are working in harmony. Also never forget, I can give a perfect rifle to one person who will shoot the bulls eye out at 100 yards, and a different person with the same rifle might only make a 4 inch group.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

lol...I'm going with its a combination of all components. but all things being equal on a bench I'd go with the barrel(most important) its a rifled pipe with a breach plug and a nipple but then again if you can't see good the barrel don't matter...maybe its not the green mountian barrels its the sights......lol
Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I was thinking that a Knight sidelock would sure be cool, but I know it will never be a possibilty , seeing Knight has always been an inline company and pioneer of inlines.Then i thought about the fact that all Knights have Green Mountain barrels. well I have sidelocks with Green Mountain barrels, so my T/C hawken with the sharpshooter barrel 1:24 twist is a Knight equivelant. Right??? Just a thought. Do you think the barrel makes the biggest difference or a combination of all components and how they work together. Just curious as to your thoughts. With so much talk about putting the CVA Bergara barrels on a T/C then what about a Green Mountain barrel on a T/C . Are we basically turning our guns into a CVA or Knight gun??
now you you know you might have a point... I call my conversions RenGiM's - but they are still a TC in my mind...

I have a bunch of TC Renegades which I THINK are one of the best sidelocks ever made... especially early when they came with barrels made by other manufactures, but even when TC started making their own barrels they were really good.

At some point TC changed methods of barrel production and added the QLA's... I do not have any sidelocks with a QLA.

Like you though i did reach out and get some GM-LRH barrels for the Renegades. I ended up with 3 of these barrels on various TC products. These fast twist barrels allowed me to shoot the conicals that Idaho required for ML hunting... not just any conical but the big long Bull Shop conicals...

This is my favorite one - but it is in a Hawken stock in this picture and labeled as my "Idaho White" for good reasons...

This the same barrel in a Renegade stock... this is what I would use today if I was still required to use a non-inline (we were for awhile)

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-18-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

how much subcontracting does cva/tc/knight do?...I don't know who makes what lol....I wonder how many knights go back on the 4 inch group at 200 yards I know I wouldn't send one back...
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Perfect example:

Green Mountain Limited Edition 54-120 Brush Gun.
Green Mountain barreled patented Knight Disc Extreme action.
Knight had nothing to do with them as Green Mountain made them while Knight was closed.
So in actuality it is just a Knight DISC Extreme with a short barrel IMO but I give credit to Green Mountain since they made it.

TC Pro Hunters with Encore Bergara barrels. I say Pro Hunter but the barrel is a very important part and I give credit to the barrel when mentioning it. My .45 Encore Bergara barrel does shoot tighter groups then the factory TC .45 barrel I had.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

I hold more towards the barrel, beings it is where your accuracy comes to play, for the most part.... So I guess, I look at it completely different... Beings Knight is just an assembler of MLers.... (they have every piece contracted out and then assembles them) So in my eyes it is a green mountain not a knight.... So, no gun with a green mountain barrel is a knight but, every knight is a green mountain....

So, in my thought there is nothing like a Knight, they are the only company I know, that contracts out 100% of there line and still calls themselves a manufacturer..

Aren't the people that bought out Knight a plastics manufacturer???

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 09-18-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by INRecordBookBuck
So, no gun with a green mountain barrel is a knight but, every knight is a green mountain....

Correction: Every new Knight has a green mountain barrel. My three Knight's are pre GM. Some of the barrels on Knights in the latter years they were making extremes (I don't mean the current company) had some really badly done crowns. I know sabotloader redid his and so did some others. Why t/c couldn't spend a little extra and get their qla centered on the bore is another mystery to me. Too much haste in production.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Correction: Every new Knight has a green mountain barrel. My three Knight's are pre GM. Some of the barrels on Knights in the latter years they were making extremes (I don't mean the current company) had some really badly done crowns. I know sabotloader redid his and so did some others. Why t/c couldn't spend a little extra and get their qla centered on the bore is another mystery to me. Too much haste in production.
I stand corrected but was referring to the new line up... I agree 100% about the qla, I don't shoot conicals so it really doesn't matter to me...I may try them just to see how bad mine is... but for sabots and bullets, I love the qla....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.