Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Canada's Version of the Lil Brown Truck

Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

150 yds is a long way with a flintlock. I got paper plate accuracy with my .50 gpr off the bench @ 100yds but I would be leary of shooting 150 in the field. 100 yds for me would be the max but only with a very solid rest.

The .54 is a new animal to me caliber wise. The mechanics of the rifle are not and knowing that, pushing the practical limits (for me) wouldn't be prudent or ethical. I'll keep my shots to 75 or less and push it to 100 with a solid rest..... Mind you it all depends on how well this rifle shoots. All this could be for not if I can't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 with it. lol

HA
Old 09-17-2011, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

I am using 110gr of Goex 2f behind a Hornady .535 and .018 ticking in my Lyman Trade Rifle.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by HuntAway
150 yds is a long way with a flintlock. I got paper plate accuracy with my .50 gpr off the bench @ 100yds but I would be leary of shooting 150 in the field. 100 yds for me would be the max but only with a very solid rest.

The .54 is a new animal to me caliber wise. The mechanics of the rifle are not and knowing that, pushing the practical limits (for me) wouldn't be prudent or ethical. I'll keep my shots to 75 or less and push it to 100 with a solid rest..... Mind you it all depends on how well this rifle shoots. All this could be for not if I can't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 with it. lol

HA
I agree with you HuntAway. I never would suggest someone shoot 150 yards with a roundball rifle. IMO the person that claimed to have pulled that off was very lucky. He could have wounded an animal. And personally I would never attempt that kind of a shot unless it was pure desperation.

The furthest shot I ever made with my .54 Renegade shooting 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a .530 roundball, was 80-90 yards. And to be honest, I really did not want to try that distance, but had little choice as the animals were not moving closer. I had shot out to 100 yards and consistently hit at that distance, but I am like you.. I like my shots close and personal.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

With my 54's I start at 90 and go up to 130 in 10 gr increments the shoot what ever groups best so far it has been 110 FF with the 1-48 twist, 120 with the 1-60 twist and 130 with the 1-80 twist. As far as the patches are concerned it depends on the bore my method for that is to use a 535 ball and keep using thicker patches untill the riflings cut them then back off to the next thinner size. PRB rifles can be made to shoot much better than most realize. The people at the 177 yds matches at Friendship IN will teach you a lot if you shoot with them enough.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the load info fella's.

I took it out this morning for some shooting.

The first pic was at 13 yds. I was low and walked it up to the bull shooting 90 gr 2F Goex with .015 patch and .535 ball.
The windage was good.

The next group was the lower bunch. This was at 50 yds. It was quite a bit left and low again so I adjusted the elevation until I was even wth the bull. Then I fired the top group aiming at the top bull. I use a 6 o'clock hold with the bull resting on top of my sight on all shots. I didn't have a small enough allen key to adjust the windage so I called it a day. I think this rifle is going to be a shooter.

A young lady and her boyfriend stopped by the pit on their atv and saw my rifle and were awed at it. lol They started asking a hundred questions. So I took a time out and showed them how it worked, some history on the style of rifles. They asked if they could watch me shoot. I said sure. Just plug your ears when I'm about to shoot. So I proceed to load the rifle, prime the pan and settle in behind the bag. Set the trigger. Acquire the target. Touch off the shot and pfftt. Flash-in-the-Pan.. They asked what happened so I explained it to them in terms youngsters understand best. Google Flash in the pan. hahahaha I cleaned the pan re-primed. Re set and touched off the shot. They couldn't get over the smoke. I had just a slight breeze in my face so it all came wafting right over us. I think they were quite impressed with the whole show. They said thank you jumped on the atv and headed out.

The one thing I like about the .54.....is I don't need binoculars to see the hole at 50 yds!!!!!

HA
Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting! You realize, you might have passed the bug onto someone else.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by johnnyo
Nice shooting! You realize, you might have passed the bug onto someone else.

I hope so!!!

I also hope these big ole fella's show up tonight with some shootin light left.

I think there are two good ones coming in. One has a white spot and the left hip. One of them has a real cool NIKE swoosh on the chest.

This one is bigger I think.

Was out this morning and it was cool and quiet. Going to have some lunch and get ready for an evening sit.

HA

Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a little late to this party. But my .54 GP's hunting load is 95 grains GOEX FFFg.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I'm a little late to this party. But my .54 GP's hunting load is 95 grains GOEX FFFg.

Thanks Semi.

HA