Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#11 Nipple Search - might be over....

Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default #11 Nipple Search - might be over....

For many this probably is not a big deal, but for us that have to use a cap and the ones that want to use a cap... it might be informational...

It all started because I have a bunch of new #11 Red Hot nipples and TC Hot Shot... the caps will not stay on and are not even close to being weather proof... so....

For some reason and a reason I do not understand, the more common #11 nipples manufactured today, like the Hot Shot - Red Hot - the post has been reduced in diameter so that it no longer hold #11's snuggly. In fact the new nipples are so loose simply turning the nipple upside down often ends up with the cap falling off.

I think I have found the answer...

My first attempt was to order some RWS nipples from RMC Sports. They came in the mail on Tuesday. They certainly worked better than the more famous brands but in my mind the cap still came of to easy.

So next I went to Track of the Wolf to try some AMPCO produced nipples.... SUCCESS!

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...Size=25&Page=3

TOW offers both the AMPCO Bronze RST-A and the Stainless RST-I both of these are 1/4x28 for American made rifles – but they do offer the other sizes also.

The nipple I placed on the AMCO in the picture is in place correctly – it fits so well it would be very difficult for water to get under it to contaminate the cap or the powder load.

Downside…. They caps do not come off easily…
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Information Pete! Did you measure how large the flash hole is in those nipples?
Art
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
Good Information Pete! Did you measure how large the flash hole is in those nipples?
Art
No, I did not - I will give it a shot...

I can not give you a good number but the same tip cleaner that goes in the AMPCO also goes in the Red Hots and Hot Shots...
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is really all I need to know. Thanks Pete.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I never used them from track of the wolf.. but have had no problem with the ones from RMC. Glad you found one that will work for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good to know. I will have to keep that info stored in the back of my head for later reference. But in the meantime, I simply used my Dremel tool and ground off .010" off the nipples of my sidelocks. It was just enough to hold the nipples nice and tight.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

i had trouble with caps fitting too tightly on my gpr factory nipple so i also bought some ampco bronze nipples and havent had a misfire since.