Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Mountaineer outing

Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Another Mountaineer outing

Gonna go out with the Mountaineer again and see what happens with some Blackhorn and 200 gr shockwaves and 250 gr shockwaves. Will try to post some results in a few hours when I am done . Tallyho

Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well get going. Lol
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM
mountaineer magic

Man, I was putting up the last pic when it all went kaput, so I am going to redo this post but as the condensed version.

I started off with the Mountaineer ,120 gr Blackhorn, 200 gr shockwave in blue sabot and winchester primer. I was shooting at 100 yards. I didn't feel like switching my bipod over so I decided to just shoot off the hood of the truck. I did decide to hedge a little by using a plastic cleaning/site-in rest instead of my jacket. No scope adjustments and no effort to be precise. I poured the powder into marked Blackhorn vials , so they were around 120 gr but could have varied by as much as 5 or so grains.
I marked each shot , then immediately reloaded and shot again.
After I marked the 4th shot I forgot to put my hearing protection back in. I immediately realized it when shot 5 went off and my ears started ringing. I decided to finish another day, so no 250gr bullets were shot.
I will say one thing: you will be hard pressed to find a gun that will outshoot or even shoot as good as the Mountaineer out of the box. The accuracy will really boost a persons confidence when hunting. The trigger is fantastic. I paid for mine and evrything I shot so there was no incentive to say anything other than what my experience and perception was.
Attached Thumbnails Another Mountaineer outing-knight-001.jpg   Another Mountaineer outing-mt2.jpg   Another Mountaineer outing-mt3.jpg   Another Mountaineer outing-mt4.jpg  

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

Great shooting... But i really like the looks of that rifle...

Hunting season is still around the corner for me - but it is inching forward....
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Good looking gun and shooting, almost as nice as my Endeavor out of the box .... No just pokin at ya... very nice!!!! Lookin at your report, I may just have to get me one.... Just one thing is stopping me....
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say that is some really good shooting by the owner and the rifle. But I also have to say that I believe there are much less expensive rifles, and cheaper shooters, that can shoot as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting Chet. I really like the looks of that rifle with that grey laminated stock. Which hunt are you going to use that one for?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by flounder33
Nice shooting Chet. I really like the looks of that rifle with that grey laminated stock. Which hunt are you going to use that one for?
Antelope and rifle season for deer,

Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Very nice shooting. Its just a smile you get when the rifle groups like that. Getting cold here, frost and snow coming tonight, so it makes me think of hunting. That rifle would really be a confidence builder when you get that... is that too far.. kind of shot. Also I agree with Sabotloader. That is a beautiful rifle. Very nice.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by pluckit
I have to say that is some really good shooting by the owner and the rifle. But I also have to say that I believe there are much less expensive rifles, and cheaper shooters, that can shoot as well.
That's probably true, many rifles when you work up the right load shoot good. But I only have taken this one out twice and so far it has shot good with whatever bullet I used, the 250 gr lehigh and the 200 gr shockwave. I haven't even experimented to find the full potential of the gun. I have a Triumph and others that shoot excellent but they didn't do it without a lot of experimenting. And I think there are a lot of other factors that for me anyway justify that I got a good gun and it's well worth the price. Looks, craftsmanship, quality,accuracy, American made and other things. Things like that have value for me also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.