Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not All Range Sessions Go Well

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Not All Range Sessions Go Well

I spent the weekend at the hunting lease. Just about all of the guys were there because it was "Bushhog Weekend" for everyone to cut grass and weeds off their food plots in preparation for plowing and planting in early October.

I knew I wouldn't have much time for shooting but brought along the Omega X7 in hopes of getting a short range session in. I managed to do that Sunday morning.

Back in January of 2009 I purchased a canister of Blackhorn 209 to try in the Mustang. I shot it with .25 ACP primers charged with small rifle magnum primers and had poor ignition with that set-up. About 3/4 of that canister has been sitting in my closet ever since. So I decided to give it a try in the X7.

Now this gun gives me two-inch 100 yard groups with anything from 85 to 105 grains of GOEX and either 250 or 300 grain Speer Deep Curls in Harvester short black sabots. What will Blackhorn do?

Checking the X7's target file I found that it is presently sighted in for "dead on" at 100 yards with 250 grain DCs and 95 grains GOEX. I had no idea where a Blackhorn load would shoot, but I set a target out at 100 yards and took five shots with 250 DCs and 110 grains Blackhorn.

WOW-WHEE! Did that little gun kick with that load. I'm not recoil shy at all. Rather enjoy it actually. But that load was a punisher that I wouldn't want to shoot much.

Here's the target.

As you can see, the group hit a lot lower than the GOEX load the gun is sighted in for. Two of the shots were off the target, but I could tell where they hit on the backer board and wasn't impressed with a 3.5" group.

So I put another target out at 100 and dropped the load from 110 grains to 90 grains. Recoil was still pretty stiff, but no where near as brutal as that 110 grain load. I didn't make any adjustments to the scope for the 90 grain load. Here's that target.

I'm not impressed yet. But I suspected from the recoil that this load is shooting faster than any of the GOEX loads I've shot. So I dropped the load another ten grains to 80 grains and took five more shots at 100 yards on a fresh target. I judged the recoil to be in the neighborhood of what I get with a 95 grain GOEX load, so I was hoping to see a nice tight group when I walked out to the target.

This is what I found.

DAMN! Four of the five shots went over the top of the target. The target was pinned to the very top of the backer board so there's no way to tell how tight the group was. I can make myself believe it was likely smaller than the 90 grain load - but that's just a guess. It was getting too late on Sunday afternoon to change the scope setting and shoot another group. I needed to pack up and head home. So that will have to wait until another day.

I have to admit it felt strange loading and shooting without wiping the barrel between shots. But wiping has never been a big deal to me.

As a side note, I tried to use Winchester W209 primers in this gun for the first time and could not close the breech block with them. They were just too long. I used CCI 209Ms for the shoot. The breech block closes with a fair amount of resistance on the CCI's

Here's a picture of the X7's uncleaned breech after the 15 shots with BH.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I think it is like anything else in this world we live in - what works for some does not always work for others.

I have shot a good deal of BH for testing purposes and have not found an accuracy issue... or even a significant velocity gain or loss when changing from T7 to BH in a grain for grain swap.

Running a patch at the range is not a problem for me at all and one patch works up to 20 shots for me.

Do not get me wrong either, I really like BH and what it does... everything but the cost per ounce... even if the two jugs were approxiimately the same price you are still losing a lot of shots with BH.

That breech is really clean... What primer do you normally shoot in the X7???
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

What primer do you normally shoot in the X7???
Just checked the target file Sabotloader. All I've ever used before were regular CCIs and Remington Kleanbores. The first year I had this gun I was getting a dirtier breech and a little scorching on the bottom of the scope. Then I adjusted the breech block for a tighter lock-up and achieved zero blow back. I would have to change the adjustment to use Winchesters though. It's just not possible to close the breech on them.

I haven't given up on the Blackhorn. I have a little left and will try the 80 grain load again and use a target dot lower on the target. Might even break out the chronograph and see how fast it's going.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-12-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Just checked the target file Sabotloader. All I've ever used before were regular CCIs and Remington Kleanbores. The first year I had this gun I was getting a dirtier breech and a little scorching on the bottom of the scope. Then I adjusted the breech block for a tighter lock-up and achieved zero blow back. I would have to change the adjustment to use Winchesters though. It's just not possible to close the breech on them.
Shoot I would not bother... all of the Remington and even the regular CCI are shorter than the Winchesters... Another one you might try is some Cheddites if you can find them locally...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Been thinking about Blackhorn a lot since that session. I kind of feel out of step because so many guys like it so much. But in all honesty, the only advantage I can see in it (for me) is the ability to see an animal's reaction to the hit and line of departure if it runs.

That is kind of nice, but I miss the smoke on the range.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in your camp Semi. I bought a bottle shortly after it came out but I only used about half of it and it has remained on the shelf. Back at that time I owned a couple of disc rifles to shoot it out of. I understand why some people like it but I prefer the real black or 777.
Art
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I glad to see the Mrs. left you out for the weekend Semi and that you got some shooting in. As for the BH, I can't see myself buying the stuff. I do perfectly fine with good ol BP or Pyrodex (P & RS).
Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I glad to see the Mrs. left you out for the weekend Semi
Yeah, she lets me out now and then Bronko. But that ankle bracelet she makes me wear is a pain in the butt.

(Actually, she's more likely to say "why don't you go the the camp for the weekend".)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Blackhorn 209 was an impressive powder when I tested it. My Disc rifle and Genesis really liked the stuff. But I can get the same accuracy shooting Graf's & Sons black powder or Pyrodex RS.

One powder that really gives me fits is Triple Seven. I have a rifle that shoots it very well. It is sighted in with it. Its a little LK-II. Well I took the rifle out and shot it, same load as always, and it was all over the paper. So I dropped the T-7 charge by 5 grains and then it started to behave again. But the card was very specific on the 80 grain charge, and I even made sure to use the same measure. It could have been the heat, or maybe just me. But it sure had me scratching my head. I mean... what if I had been hunting with that first load. Also it was a new jug of powder, but I never had new jug powder problems with the other powders.

You know Semisane.. that sure is a pretty rifle. Why I like the looks of that rifle so much I have no clue. But I always did.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, if you ever get a chance to shoulder an X7 you will be seeking one for yourself. As the old Cajun fellows say "I gearonteee dat, cher".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.