Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I found a good ambush spot today

Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Striper, to answer your question about the fiber optic sights. When you get our age that red sight out in front appears to be a double image or at least distorted.
Dave those buffalo bullets should definately do a number even on those big WI whitetails. As far as shooting offhand, if you don't shoot a flinter regularly, it can be difficult. Its amazing how fast your body reacts between the flash in the pan and the charge going off. I was always taught, and by shooting instructors and competitive shooters, that you will never hold a rifle perfectly still. What you will do with practice is to have the rifle moving in circles. And the more you practice, the smaller these circles will become.
As for the optic sights Dave. Put a light coat of white out on the front sight. A thin coat takes the 'glare' off of it but still makes it plenty bright.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also can not stand the fiber optic sights. Plastic Junk is what I call them. And they will break very easy. you will never see them on any rifle I use open sights on.

You should be able to change out sights on a TC pretty easily??

I might have a set ot TC sights. Cayugad if you want me to check and see I will look if you want them. Is the front sight on your rifle dovetailed or D&T'd?? Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 09-10-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
cayugad, great shooting.....you don't like fiber optic sights?
As strange as it sounds, I would rather have a primitive sight then fiber optics. The best sight for me I ever used was on a Remington Rifle. It has a white triangle as the back sight and a white dot as the front sight. For some reason I could really shoot with that sight.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

For what I am going to use the rifle for.. the fiber optics will do fine. I even thought of mounting a 1x32 scope on the flintlock, but that just does not appeal to me.

We can shoot only bucks now. The DNR has us kill off all the does for many years. I have two small four pointers that come into the yard. They look like good eating, but I would hate to shoot them. I might just hold out for something really large. If I don't get a monster that means I don't have to butcher. If I do, I will make a lot of sausage and salami.

Taking a deer really is not all that important to me anymore. I just like to be out there. I even thought of camera hunting only. I have a friend that does that in the southern end of the state. No rifle, just a really good digital camera. He claims he get as much satisfaction out of that as when he used to hunt.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad,
You might want to consider a change for your close shots. I cant tell you how many deer have jumped a Flintlock at 20yards. The lock in a flintlock is slow and loud, 20 yards is really close.

Can you take some pictures of your ambush spot? I would really like to see them.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can just imagine how big of a ten point would come in the first time you took your camera with you. Tom.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Cayugad,
You might want to consider a change for your close shots. I cant tell you how many deer have jumped a Flintlock at 20yards. The lock in a flintlock is slow and loud, 20 yards is really close.

Can you take some pictures of your ambush spot? I would really like to see them.

That is the creek that runs through my property. It is called McTush creek, but most call it mud creek. It varies in width from a few feet to quite a distance. On the left bank you can see where the deer are landing when they jump the thing.

after they cross the creek out of the cedars, they come up this very slight hill. That is a nice path there. And today I found a bedding area as well. I figure a ground blind near them trees should do real nice.

Something interesting is, one my walk back I spotted something that does not belong ...

Someone else is watching the trail by that creek. There was no ladder to the stand which is kind of strange, but there is a shooting lane to the trails. I left them a note and advised them to take the tree stand and a certain part of their anatomy and get them off my property. I will be checking back here, and if I catch them in that tree there will be trouble.

Here is a link to some other pictures of the general area I own. Also I take you to the boundary edge of the property, where I meet the National Forest.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ad/my%20woods/
Old 09-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad

That is the creek that runs through my property. It is called McTush creek, but most call it mud creek. It varies in width from a few feet to quite a distance. On the left bank you can see where the deer are landing when they jump the thing.

after they cross the creek out of the cedars, they come up this very slight hill. That is a nice path there. And today I found a bedding area as well. I figure a ground blind near them trees should do real nice.

Something interesting is, one my walk back I spotted something that does not belong ...

Someone else is watching the trail by that creek. There was no ladder to the stand which is kind of strange, but there is a shooting lane to the trails. I left them a note and advised them to take the tree stand and a certain part of their anatomy and get them off my property. I will be checking back here, and if I catch them in that tree there will be trouble.

Here is a link to some other pictures of the general area I own. Also I take you to the boundary edge of the property, where I meet the National Forest.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Hopefully the hunter will move his stuff and be done.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad

There using climbing sticks to get to the stand. Your nicer then me, I would of took the stand down and left a note with my number on it telling them we need to talk lol.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

If I go back in there and it is still in the tree, I have a chain saw and it will come down the hard way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.