Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help Needed - Knight Disc Bolt Problem

Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help Needed - Knight Disc Bolt Problem

I was shooting the Disc Elite with Lehigh Conversion. The very fist shot the STS primer would not eject. In hindsight, I should have just dry fired it because I'm sure the 90 grains of BH209 pushed part of the primer back into the pin hole. Before I could reassemble the bolt I got it jacked up to where I can't line it up. It appears to be in the fire position but I can't turn it left or right. Pics Below:

Suggestions on getting out of this mess? I can't be the first one to have this issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
I was shooting the Disc Elite with Lehigh Conversion. The very fist shot the STS primer would not eject. In hindsight, I should have just dry fired it because I'm sure the 90 grains of BH209 pushed part of the primer back into the pin hole. Before I could reassemble the bolt I got it jacked up to where I can't line it up. It appears to be in the fire position but I can't turn it left or right. Pics Below:

Suggestions on getting out of this mess? I can't be the first one to have this issue. Thanks in advance.
I think you can fix your problem by just turning the secondary safety in... it will get tight and then it will pull the hammer back and allow you spin the internal mechanism to the correct spot.
The only problem could be it is is a C tool bolt and that may require a bit more work...

Looking ath the bolt I do not think it is a C tool so it should be pretty easy to fix.

Have you ever taken the bolt apart before to clean it or anyrhing?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,The Disc Elite never had a C tool bolt. He should be able to do what you said then back it all the way out and start over to assemble the two.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I think you can fix your problem by just turning the secondary safety in... it will get tight and then it will pull the hammer back and allow you spin the internal mechanism to the correct spot.
The only problem could be it is is a C tool bolt and that may require a bit more work...

Looking ath the bolt I do not think it is a C tool so it should be pretty easy to fix.

Have you ever taken the bolt apart before to clean it or anyrhing?
That did it. All clean and put away.

I take it apart every time I shoot and clean but have never had this problem before. I do make a point to turn the secondary safety in before I disassemble.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Josmund
That did it. All clean and put away.

I take it apart every time I shoot and clean but have never had this problem before. I do make a point to turn the secondary safety in before I disassemble.

Thanks for the help.
ubetcha!

But the real problem is why did it get pushed out that far in the first place???? Should not happen.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
ubetcha!

But the real problem is why did it get pushed out that far in the first place???? Should not happen.
It was strange. I had the pin plunger out of the bolt case, all that was left was the primer, conversion insert and the outer bolt. That primer was not coming out and neither was the conversion insert. My only conclusion was that the primer was pushed back into the firing pin hole.

It was only 90 grain of BH209 and 200 grain Havester, a load I've shot many times before.

The sad part is I was shooting with a CF guy who was proud of his high end rifles was Swavoski optics. The Elite would have out shot them if I could put a typical group out there. That would have been fun but it wasn't meant to be.