Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

45 Cal Load

Old 09-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

In .40 cal I've used the 200 XTP, 200 SST and 185 Lehigh all with success. However, if you are going after hogs I would give the nod towards the 200 SST or 185 Lehigh, which seem to hold together better and penetrate better than the 200 XTP.

As for powder charge, it all depends on how far you are shooting and what is accurate in your rifle. But in general, I would say use 80 grains loose as a minimum, and up to 120 grains if your rifle is rated for it. If the range was 150 yards or less, and I was going after hogs, my load would be 95 grains T7 FFFG with the 185 Lehigh.

The 195 Barnes is also good, but I have not used it on game so I can't recommend based on personal experience.