Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally Found My Primer

Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Finally Found My Primer

I picked up a Knight Disc Extreme 50 earlier this summer and have been searching for the right primer for the Lehigh Conversion.

In my Elite it's the Rem. STS but in the Extreme this was way too tight. After failing with a few others, the Winchester Primer was clean, reliable and ejected well.

This is what they looked like after discharge:

On another note. I was shooting 180 grain XTP's which shot quite well with the 50/40 Harvester Sabots. I'm not sure I can shoot any better off bags. That little target is hard to zero in on. It's about a 2" group.

Any ideas on the FPS with 90 of BH 209? I may have my daughter hunt with this load and I'd like to figure out if it will carry enough punch.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks good. Glad to see you found the right primer.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

90grns by volume of BH209 is a waste of money in my opinion shooting light bullets. 777 should get a much better burn and velocity then BH209 pretty consistently. But BH209 would be easier for her to load the more i think about it.

BTW- Very nice shooting.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=Grouse45;3842501]90grns by volume of BH209 is a waste of money in my opinion shooting light bullets. 777 should get a much better burn and velocity then BH209 pretty consistently.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you explain the difference in burn rates in a light vs heavy bullet? Does BH209 need more pressure to work effectively?