Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A good day here on the farm

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
WCW
Spike

Default A good day here on the farm

Last fall two out of state gentlemen stopped and asked if they could hunt here. They had never hunted pheasants before and had checked out the public land which looked like a pumpkin patch with all the orange in the fields. They seemed to be nice guys so I loaded up the dogs and took them over to the CRP land that I lease and they both filled out in less than an hour. I invited them back to hunt the next day which they did and tried to pay me but I refused to accept their money. After we came back we got to talking about hunting with muzzle loaders and seems that they both were converts. I showed them my guns and told them that I only hunt with cap locks. This morning they showed up with a new Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle as a gift for my hospitality. I invited them to come up next season but they were in the area to close on 500 acres about ten miles west of us. They told me that I was welcome to hunt their land any time I wanted and next season were looking forward to shooting over my dogs if they could. They are from Southern Illinois where there aren't any pheasants and really enjoyed hunting with me . After spending time in this area they decided this was the place for them. Once again it has paid me to be a nice guy for a change.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

That was nice of you to let them hunt. And even nicer of them to give you a nice rilfe. Those things ain't cheap. There is on at my local shop used for $475.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

what a nice gift. You're right ... it pays to be a good guy.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

WCW Good for you! It is nice to see that they appreciate what you did for them.
Unfortunately, I have had some bad experiences with hunters coming on our land.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 PM
WCW
Spike

Originally Posted by flounder33
WCW
Unfortunately, I have had some bad experiences with hunters coming on our land.
Believe me I am very choosy who I let hunt on the home place or the leased land and who I hunt with. The gentlemen who gave me the gun are in their sixties and were very polite and didn't appear to be the average jerks who drive all us land owners nuts every season. When they showed me their Beretta O/U 20 gauges I was convinced that they were serious hunters and not weekend morons.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If all of us would practice being nice more it would be a better world. Sounds like you got two buddy's for life.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I always bring a cooler or two of "beverages" for my host and friends. Makes everybody happy