Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not a good day with the Mountaineer.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not a good day with the Mountaineer.

Finally got to go the range day, after having this gun for a full week. I was about to go crazy to shoot it. Well I got to the range and got ready to shoot a cap or two off to get things started, I put a Win 209 shotgun primer in and tried to close the bolt, surprise, the bolt wouldn't close and the primer only went down about 3/4 of the way ?? I could not take it out with a knife or a flat head screw driver. Bummer. I took the bolt out and got a pair of leathermans and got the primer out. Lesson learned, it was not going to take the Win primers. So I thought before I put the bolt back in to see if it would take any of the other primers that I took. Would not take the 777 primers or the CCI mag primers either. None of these would fit in the breech plug at all. So I tried to call Knight but it was already after hours. I will get a hold of them tomorrow because I know they will take care of the problem. I'm just really starting to go nuts wanting to shoot this gun!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Never had any problems with the CCI 209M... it must be a bad plug,,, but no worries, Knight will take care of you for sure.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that. That was an issue and you must of got one of the old bolts by accident.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

wow.. that would have upset the devil out of me. Good luck with your rifle.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, that is tough. I know everyone want a perfect rifle. But being in the quality end of manufacturing for over 35 years, I know that sometimes things get by. But you would think that with firearms there would be a 100% check on something as important as the breech plug/primer fit.
But I'm sure Knight will make it good.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Sorry to hear that. That was an issue and you must of got one of the old bolts by accident.
If that is truly the case, then Knight has a serious problem. Sending an old bolt out on a brand new, expensive, never before distributed rifle that will make or break their comeback? Probably a glitch in the manufacturing process of that particular bolt. As stated, Knight will fix the problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Either way, it sucks. And surely does reflect poorly on Knight.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

No proofing? That can lead to the kind of problems CVA had 20 years a go.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

How is the bolt the problem if the primer wont even fit in the plug without the bolt?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Thanks Tom, I'm not bashing Knight by no means. Most of you know that I'm a Knight fan boy anyway. The bolt is not the problem though, the primers won't fit in the breech plug hole. They are all to big. It looks like the flash hole was not drilled out deep enough for the primers to go all the way down, this in return keep the bolt from closing. I have no doubt that when I get ahold of Knight tomorrow the problem will be fixed asap!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.