Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not a good day with the Mountaineer.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rogo
I find it very strange that when Knight sends out a problem rifle all I see is praise for them. Don't worry, they will fix it, etc. Same with a problem TC rifle that someone has trouble with, nothing but don't worry, they will take care of it.
But with all you experts, when it is a CVA rifle all I see is, they are a piece of junk, be careful it may blow up, I would not buy it in the first place. Remember CVA has junk barrels, etc.
All rifle have problems and you characters need to stop bashing the rifles that people buy other than what you want them to buy. Not everyone can afford to pay out extra $ just for a name.
Rogo I do not know you so you are entitled to your opinion, but please do not come on to my thread and HIGHJACK it. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the problems with the new Knights and this is just to let people know that things still happen. I would not go on another thread and bash a particular brand of gun that someone was talking about a problem with and I would appreciate the same courtesy here. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know how your conversation with Knight goes. It seems like it should be a simple fix, I hope so.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

onetohunt ,

The more i think about this, it could be the coating. Again just speculation after talking to Dave. I sent you a PM, reply to it when you have time.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I talked to Gordy with Knight rifles late this afternoon, he was baffled on what would cause this because of the process that the rifles go through before they ship them out. He is going to overnight me a breechplug and bolt asssmbly so that I will have them before the weekend so this should take of the problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
I talked to Gordy with Knight rifles late this afternoon, he was baffled on what would cause this because of the process that the rifles go through before they ship them out. He is going to overnight me a breechplug and bolt asssmbly so that I will have them before the weekend so this should take of the problem.
Excellent... i am glad it worked out....

But, thinking about what Tom indicated in his last note... If you have try time try an experiment for me - probably will not fix the problem, but it will eliminate what might be a problem that i think Tom was working to...

Remove the bolt and the breech plug, clean the threads of the plug and the threads in the barrel. Re-install the plug with no grease or tape. Physically tighten the plug tight in the bore. Don break it but get it tight. Then back it off and retighten it 2 more times. After tightening it the third time install the bolt and see if it will close on a primer.

It MIGHT be possible that some of the bore treatment got trapped and hardened on the BP shelf in the bore not allowing the BP to tightened against the shelf. The procedure above might loosen and remove it.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Excellent... i am glad it worked out....

But, thinking about what Tom indicated in his last note... If you have try time try an experiment for me - probably will not fix the problem, but it will eliminate what might be a problem that i think Tom was working to...

Remove the bolt and the breech plug, clean the threads of the plug and the threads in the barrel. Re-install the plug with no grease or tape. Physically tighten the plug tight in the bore. Don break it but get it tight. Then back it off and retighten it 2 more times. After tightening it the third time install the bolt and see if it will close on a primer.

It MIGHT be possible that some of the bore treatment got trapped and hardened on the BP shelf in the bore not allowing the BP to tightened against the shelf. The procedure above might loosen and remove it.
Did this Sabot, the bolt seems to work a little better as well. I double checked the primer and it is still tight. Just not for sure if the primer was shot, if it would come out of the plug if I got it to close.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Did this Sabot, the bolt seems to work a little better as well. I double checked the primer and it is still tight. Just not for sure if the primer was shot, if it would come out of the plug if I got it to close.
OK time to wait for the new setup and see what difference there might be.

Was that with a W209?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
OK time to wait for the new setup and see what difference there might be.

Was that with a W209?
Yes it was, I also checked the CCI mag as well.