Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not a good day with the Mountaineer.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
How is the bolt the problem if the primer wont even fit in the plug without the bolt?
I think your right about that. Sounds like a bad breech plug. All speculation until Knight gets it. Either way they will make it right.

Last edited by Grouse45; 08-16-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Give us a full report on their CS response.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Doesn't Lehigh make the BP and bolt adapter for the Mountaineer?

I thought they had top notch quality. I'm sure they will make it right.

Now, I know tolerances vary from gun to gun. Rem STS's for my Elite, still looking for a winner in my Extreme.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats one of the reasons i test fire a bunch of primers the same day i get the gun. Just a tiny burr could be all it takes and that could be easily fixed before hitting the range.

Im sure they will make it right but this new start is a bit more rocky than i would have expected.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Thats one of the reasons i test fire a bunch of primers the same day i get the gun. Just a tiny burr could be all it takes and that could be easily fixed before hitting the range.

Im sure they will make it right but this new start is a bit more rocky than i would have expected.
I normally do test fire a few at the house before I ever head out, this time I didn't and wouldn't you know it. I'm not worried about a thing from them, all I have ever had is GREAT customer service from them dating back to my first MK 85.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

to many parts changing hands. It happens, what can you do u know?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Thanks Tom, I'm not bashing Knight by no means. Most of you know that I'm a Knight fan boy anyway. The bolt is not the problem though, the primers won't fit in the breech plug hole. They are all to big. It looks like the flash hole was not drilled out deep enough for the primers to go all the way down, this in return keep the bolt from closing. I have no doubt that when I get ahold of Knight tomorrow the problem will be fixed asap!!
This line in your description is really the key to the problem. In a Lehigh BP and actually even the Knight NFPJ - the primer does not seat all the way down into the breech plug. A portion of it has to remain outside the breech plug to allow the rim of the primer adapter to extract it after shooting.

This next part is speculation on my part because I did not or have not had an opportunity to do anything with the new Mountaineer system. (I am still procrastinating [sp]) So I am not sure how far the primer rims sits outside of the primer pocket. I would estimate that with a W209A - that 2/3rds of it will be insde the primer cup with a 1/3rd hanging out.

Lehigh and Knight have spent a lot of time trying to get the best fit of the bolt-primer-bp to provide the cleanest breech area they can. The problem is that all primers are not the same length or even the same diameter. It seems that the Win 209A is probably the longest primer on the market and will have to be use more or less as the standard, which means the rest of the primers will not fit as tight to the primer shelf in the BP.

This fit is or can be altered by two different measurements. The shelf in the BP can be cut, moved in or out and the length of the bolt throw can be changed. Either of these two things can be altered to make the correct fit and the correct crush of the primer nose with a W-209A, which will get all other primers close to the primer shelf.

I think you will find that Tom's first diagnosis will probably be correct.

Like everyone else I know that Knight will correct the problem. I would suggest to you that you try Knight on the land line between 10am and 1pm Tennessee time.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
This line in your description is really the key to the problem. In a Lehigh BP and actually even the Knight NFPJ - the primer does not seat all the way down into the breech plug. A portion of it has to remain outside the breech plug to allow the rim of the primer adapter to extract it after shooting.

This next part is speculation on my part because I did not or have not had an opportunity to do anything with the new Mountaineer system. (I am still procrastinating [sp]) So I am not sure how far the primer rims sits outside of the primer pocket. I would estimate that with a W209A - that 2/3rds of it will be insde the primer cup with a 1/3rd hanging out.

Lehigh and Knight have spent a lot of time trying to get the best fit of the bolt-primer-bp to provide the cleanest breech area they can. The problem is that all primers are not the same length or even the same diameter. It seems that the Win 209A is probably the longest primer on the market and will have to be use more or less as the standard, which means the rest of the primers will not fit as tight to the primer shelf in the BP.

This fit is or can be altered by two different measurements. The shelf in the BP can be cut, moved in or out and the length of the bolt throw can be changed. Either of these two things can be altered to make the correct fit and the correct crush of the primer nose with a W-209A, which will get all other primers close to the primer shelf.

I think you will find that Tom's first diagnosis will probably be correct.

Like everyone else I know that Knight will correct the problem. I would suggest to you that you try Knight on the land line between 10am and 1pm Tennessee time.
Thanks Sabot I will call them tomrrow. The primers do not fit the same in the Mountaineer compared to the Lehigh kit itself. They are a lot more loose in the kit than in the Mountaineer. They just really stick out of the breech plug further than on the kit, that is why I had said it looks like the plug had not been drilled deep enough. I understand what you are saying though and can see why Tom said what he did in his first thoughts. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see what Knight says to do. thanks for your assessment.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by onetohunt
Thanks Sabot I will call them tomrrow. The primers do not fit the same in the Mountaineer compared to the Lehigh kit itself. They are a lot more loose in the kit than in the Mountaineer. They just really stick out of the breech plug further than on the kit, that is why I had said it looks like the plug had not been drilled deep enough. I understand what you are saying though and can see why Tom said what he did in his first thoughts. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see what Knight says to do. thanks for your assessment.
I would wish ya 'good luck' - but you will not need it...
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

I find it very strange that when Knight sends out a problem rifle all I see is praise for them. Don't worry, they will fix it, etc. Same with a problem TC rifle that someone has trouble with, nothing but don't worry, they will take care of it.
But with all you experts, when it is a CVA rifle all I see is, they are a piece of junk, be careful it may blow up, I would not buy it in the first place. Remember CVA has junk barrels, etc.
All rifle have problems and you characters need to stop bashing the rifles that people buy other than what you want them to buy. Not everyone can afford to pay out extra $ just for a name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.