Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting ready for a good season.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
'ah dont remember ol davy crockett of danno boone using no tree stand or box blind in the eastern forests.
They didn't use lead sleds or have game feeders either but I can guarantee you if they would have had them they would have been used.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Banned

oh im sure they had some sort of lead sled back in those days.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Spike

'ah dont remember ol davy crockett of danno boone using no tree stand or box blind in the eastern forests.
Ambush is the key tactic in my experience. I hunt public land in East. I rarely use a tree stand; I hate lugging them into the woods. Got set a good groundspot and be motionless. I like it one the so-called successful hunters tell me that they are going to be stalking deer in the woods. They are going to push the deer to me, and all they'll see -- at best -- is the waving back and forth of a whitetail.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

And you have to realize Devil that the Eastern forests of today are a far cry from the open old growth forests that Davy and Daniel hunted in. Have you ever walked through a pine tree plantation? About the only thing you can sneak up on is an armadillo cause they are damn near blind and deaf. Although you will hear a lot of deer exploding out of their beds. You might even catch a quick glimpse of a white flag now and then, but not much more than that. One of the few times you can be successful stalking in that terrain is in a steady rain.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me make a couple of points.

I could care less how you all hunt. Why should I? However, being a stubborn, opinionated old fart. I give myself the right to rag on you for your lame easy way to hunt. So, I did.

Second point. I was born and brought up in the east. My dad still hunted, and taught me to hunt that way. In the EAST! It works fine, but you have to work at it. It's a bit harder then imitating a squirrel. Actually, it's a lot harder, but more fun, and very effective.

For those who say they hunt for meat. Who doesn't? I fill my freezer every year. Still hunting! It worked on the east coast, in California, and now in Colorado.

I simulated a hunt today. I went up to 11,000 ft to the dark timber. I took my gun (unloaded) and still hunted. I snuck up on a muley, and a small bull. I put my crosshair on both of them, and they never knew I was there. Full freezer if it was hunting season.

I walk the timber in slow motion, but I walk fast to different areas. I covered about 6 miles. It hard at that altitude for this old guy, and i'm beat right now. It's a good kind of tired though. It's from hunting.

How do you like me now?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

I will still hunt on a windy day. We have to many things on our ground that make popping sounds. Our deer around Eastern Ohio are majorly pressured. So wind helps keep the noise from spooking them.

Doug
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Walk like a cat. Just one step, and then stop. Watch where you step, stop, and look. Don't look around while taking a step. Put socks over your boots, or if there's no snow. Wear moccacins.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

However, being a stubborn, opinionated old fart.
Gee Muley, we never realized that.

Anyway, most of us are. Maybe we can get HNI to give us all free T-Shirts. (I'll need an XXL)

(This stuff entertains me. I hope it entertains you guys also.)

Last edited by Semisane; 08-08-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can I get that in a sweat shirt?

This isn't Florida.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

86 that nasty blaze color and i might buy one lol,, Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.