Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting ready for a good season.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muley Hunter

I highly respect your choice to make it more challenging but i dont think your choice should be what others are forced to endure unless they want to enjoy a totally primitive season

We have special DNR lottery type hunts that are more restrictive and have great harvest rates. I wouldn't want them to change a thing so those guys can enjoy their passion too on prime hunting areas such as Bushs WildLife refuge or Logan refuge where all hunting is normally banned.. They are farily restrictive on that hunt and some others are even more strict.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 50calty
What the crap? What happen to going out to public land and walking? No baiting, no grow your own buck, sit in a warm building and wait for your 50 yard shot? That would just drive me nuts. Your not even stalking the prey. I have more fun in stalking then shooting anymore. Do I get record or even big bucks? No, but I have fun. I wonder how many people could actually handle the way I was taught to hunt. Avg day is 10 miles no matter how warm or cold. I remember numerous times hunting till noon and sitting down for lunch to find out your water is froze as is the sandwiches. Gotta start a fire to thaw everything out. Then shooting something and draging it 4 plus miles. Now thats huntin!
Stalking Eastern Whitetail in the woods? They'd be ROTFLOA.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cantremembermyid
Stalking Eastern Whitetail in the woods? They'd be ROTFLOA.
I was just about to add this. People in CO and MT and other states out west don't seem to understand you can't walk all day and be sucessful hunting in the east. Different territory, different hunting methods. I hunt both, I can vouch for both.

We have a couple guys in our huntin' party that walk all day (in the east). They see a lot of white tails but rarely kill anything.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I get my primitive hunting feeling out of me during Bow season. When gun season comes along with two feet of snow and 10 degree weather, I am going to pop up a blind on the edge of a corn field and relax. It is very important that other people stalk the deer so that they drive them my way.

The best way to shoot my muzzy is between rabbit ears which is on the portable tv. I have my beer stash on the right side of me, and pizza on the left.

My fireplace is a 20 gallon tank of propane with a Mr Heater on top. I prefer to keep it hot enough that I can hunt in my underwear.

Its also important to bring the Terrible Towel for game time. One must learn to wave it low so deer cannot make you. They have no team pride.

I also place my grandmas famous apple pie in one of the blinds windows. This will attract deer. Problem is, if deer don't come soon it will be eaten by half-time.

You know...I just love the outdoors and the challenges it presents.

Doug
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Banned

'ah dont remember ol davy crockett of danno boone using no tree stand or box blind in the eastern forests.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

'ah dont remember ol davy crockett of danno boone using no tree stand or box blind in the eastern forests.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have a different outlook GM.

It's not the kill. It's the hunt that's important.

It makes no difference to me what everyone else is doing. If i want to hunt with a Flintlock and patch round ball in rifle season i will. If i want to use a recurve bow in gun season i will. I dont let others dictate what i do. I hunt with what i want to hunt with. Obviously within the regulations as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stalk hunt parts of Missouri when you get a warm November and you will be covered in tics and chigger bites so bad it might even make you sick.

Maybe we should look down on anyone that uses a ATV to get to his camp or haul out his harvest too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-08-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

or uses smokeless during muzzle loader season and shoots out to 300+ yards.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Show me where i shoot 300 yards. Besides old Gibbs and Docs sporting rifles will shoot that far no problem. Ive never used a SML yet on deer so... LOL fool.

Please

Or illegally puts out feeders like you did

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-08-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.