Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting ready for a good season.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
They just changed that about 6 years ago, i'm glad they did. PRB'S are like Knuckle balls in my opinion. No scopes aloud either. I shot many Deer with PRB"S, the Deer deserve much better.
The whole point of hunting primitive is the challenge of getting closer. Just like they had to do in the day flintlocks were used.

How is using a modern bullet primitive? Pennsylvania caved in to the pressure. Pretty sad.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our ML season is in January too and after an auto accident, long walks in the cold don't workout well for me. When its nice i do walk the 1000+ acres we hunt, its about a 2 mile walk to the next stand and no real trail to follow.

The way i look at it....ive walked hundreds of miles hunting over the years and i deserve a break once in a while. Ive let many deer walk away because i was comfortable enough in a stand to wait for the one i wanted....Which isnt always a trophy buck either. Sometimes we intentionally thin out the does if we dont see much sign of bucks before the season.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a different outlook GM.

It's not the kill. It's the hunt that's important.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I look at it like heard management and food on the table. Ive had my fair share of stalking hunts including using a ML during the last 10+ rifle seasons.

Looking down on someone for using a stand is as bad as the buttflappers ragging on inline shooters. I guess i could say the same thing about you using a fancy Thor and me using a 36 cent bullet.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

i started building another one i'm going to put in the middle of a food plot.
I would not recommend that Grouse. I have a lot of experience with box stands. The most successful ones are always ten or more yards off of the food plot, with some brush or trees between the plot and stand. Be sure to consider the normal prevailing wind during your hunting season and place the box down wind.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I look at it like heard management and food on the table. Ive had my fair share of stalking hunts including using a ML during the last 10+ rifle seasons.

Looking down on someone for using a stand is as bad as the buttflappers ragging on inline shooters. I guess i could say the same thing about you using a fancy Thor and me using a 36 cent bullet.
You have no idea how much I hate even using an inline. I don't expect it to last much longer. It really rubs me the wrong way.

Especially, since i've made everything to go primitive. I don't need a primitive season to hunt that way. I took a wrong turn somewhere. I need to get back on track.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from a tree stand now. I hate it. I grew up hunting in Wyoming and we walked sunup to sundown. That said, I understand hunting from a stand or blind here. During rifle/shotgun season, there's too many people in the woods to be able to go walking. Somebody would probably shoot you. For muzzleloader season, I try to get down and walk some but I wouldn't consider it practical, at least not where I hunt. Last year the last time I went for a walk the snow was up to my knees, and walking through a swamp with snow that deep is pretty hard on the ankles and knees when you can't see where you're walking.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I would not recommend that Grouse. I have a lot of experience with box stands. The most successful ones are always ten or more yards off of the food plot, with some brush or trees between the plot and stand. Be sure to consider the normal prevailing wind during your hunting season and place the box down wind.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think your right and will do that.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have a different outlook GM.

I need to put food on the table. I have a couple families that need the extra food as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Originally Posted by Grouse45
I need to put food on the table. I have a couple families that need the extra food as well.
Myself, i only have to feed wife and i, but as simple as that may sound, it is quite important to us. I hunt to kill, and that is the way it is. However, sneaking around in the timber, for me, is one of life's greatest experience. I much prefer hunting to shooting. I much prefer shooting to chores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.