Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do you allow your kids to shoot muzzleloaders?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you allow your kids to shoot muzzleloaders?

Thanks for your patience with all these new questions...lol

We know as adults that kids mature at different rates and responsibilities come with demonstration of maturity. A 15-year-old can act like a 21-year-old and vise verso.

However, it would be great to get an idea (a template) of when you would allow a youth to load his own muzzle loader? Without babying?

The reason we ask: My children took the hunters safety course and passed last year, yet no mention of how to use BP was covered. So it was hard for me to get an idea of what averages might be out there? (yes the parent is the most responsible for instilling values as well as thorough training for life's ventures.)

My kids shoot shotguns and center-fires responsibly. But I am extra nervous when it come to loading smoke pole. Why?

Out of 40 shots I loaded the other day, 3 felt very strange going down the bore. It was so ever slight. Yet, when we would pull the sabot and bullet they were not firmly together.

The the ram rod was grabbing the longer black sabot before bullet contact. They were not together. I also worry about a double load. I even forget when chatting with friends while shooting. Marking my ram rod really helps.

I guess when they get drivers license that is more dangerous, but driving is necessary..lol

D
Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use sabots much anymore but I use to have a few sabot/bullet combos where the jag would get between the bullet and the sabot and I was afraid I was pulling it a bit off the charge when removing the range rod. Solution for me was either to use a shorter sabot or a different jag.
As far as the kids go I think it just depends on the individuals. Some 13 to 15 year olds are plenty mature enough to muzzleload on their own, I also know some people in their 30's who aren't ready.
Working with them you should get a good idea how much rope to give them.
Just my thoughts.
Art
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell me how I could stop him!! Tom.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Shooting is one thing.. loading them quite another. I've seen 8 year old boys shoot muzzleloaders, but when young people load them in my presence, I watch them like a hawk.

What I might suggest is if the young person is interested. Teach them a class yourself. Get them to the range. Load in front of them and explain step by step what your doing, why your doing that, and what you're feeling. After a few times of showing them, let them try loading under your supervision. Explain to them what they should be feeling. Explain the witness marks, etc.. When you're satisfied, that they handle the rifle properly, then you will also feel better about them doing it without your supervision. Be sure to explain to them that if something does not feel right.. STOP! Make sure you are 100% positive that the rifle is loaded properly.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let them shoot - after thorough instructions of course. Sounds like you even need some discipline when it comes to loading and shooting. I want absolutely zero distractions when loading and shooting. Talking and joking only during a break. Even then you have a lot of thoughts running through your mind about adjusting sights, how much powder, seating depth, etc. It is very easy to dry ball a bullet or something else.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Amen to all of that. Even with all the practice I sometimes forget the powder. I would let them shot and you do the loading at first. See how that goes. Then teach them the loading part.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I let them shoot it but i load it and make up a kids load they enjoy. None of them care to hunt but they like shooting jugs or anything that goes POOF when you hit it.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 9 year old shoots the youth model wolverine .50 cal,.250 gr Deep curls with 65 gr pyrodex and loves it. i still load the rifle for safety purposes.when he's a bit older i will let him load it himself with (DAD looking on closely..) Ray
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My boy learn to load at 12 and got the biggest buck that any one in the family has ever taken when he was 14.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

My 11 year old niece shooting my new Optima with 110gr blackhorn and the 250gr Powerbelt Aerolites. She only took one shot but wants to shoot it more the next time shes over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp2YiHdSFzI