Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blaze Orange Paint?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Blaze Orange Paint?

I need to paint a backpack to be legal in Colorado. Anybody know of a paint that will work?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

If the back pack is cloth you could maybe dye it, but in my world paint sticks to anything I don't want it to. I see no reason why it would not stick. I'd use a latex paint if I did anything.

The thing around here is they take blaze orange cloth and they sew it to their jackets and their blinds. A good canvas, dyed blaze orange and then sewn to the pack should do the trick.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have used spray paint to paint many cloth surfaces such as turkey blind chairs made of canvas, heavy cloth, and even nylon, with very good success.

I even spray painted a straw hat some 16 yrs ago I still wear while dog judging and testing and it is still in great shape.

So I would try just a can of BO spray paint or cayguard's idea of just a blaze streamers of the legal square inch sizre needed which could easily be tucked away and hid for other hunts.

JW
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember, paint has an odor. It will last a long time, even when you can't smell it an animal can. I personally would go with orange cloth sewn on or get another backpack.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

I use an inexpensive blaze orange vest pin or sew in to the pack. I've done the same for my kids packs, they wear when biking on the road... works great!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking along those lines. We pin squares of blaze orange fabric on our ground blinds to be more safe, the deer don't seem to mind either.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rogo
Just remember, paint has an odor. It will last a long time, even when you can't smell it an animal can. I personally would go with orange cloth sewn on or get another backpack.
I never thought of that. I've always just taken a cheap blaze orange vest and draped it over the pack. It wasn't convenient.

Cutting one up and sewing it on is a much better idea.

I never wanted a blaze orange backpack for normal camping, but someone gave me a frame pack, and i'm committing it to just hauling out meat. I'll sew on some orange and call it good.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 07-11-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Orange Duck tape works really well.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I need to paint a backpack to be legal in Colorado. Anybody know of a paint that will work?
Man this is one of the few times i am glad to be in cali. were not required to wear orange and i can't recall ever hearing about anyone being shot. blaze orange was created so idiots don't shot others in the field.and no amount of blaze keeps idiots from being idiots! Ray
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

It might help with the half idiots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.