Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scorpion Funnel Nose 260 grain

Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Scorpion Funnel Nose 260 grain

I know Harvester sells the Scorpion funnel nose bullets, but who actually makes them? They have to be one of the best shooting bullets there is. Right up there with the Shockwave and Barnes.

The reason I ask is ... I had shot them last week. It was suggested to me in an Email that I push them harder then 100 grains of Goex 2f. So today I pushed them with 110 grains of Triple Seven 2f which according to Scorpion/Harvester, that makes a muzzle velocity of 2025 out of a Knight Disc rifle. So I used my Disc rifle to shoot them today.

At 50 yards the groups were just over a 1/2 inch for a two shot group. A five shot group would have been almost the same but the first shot on a squeaky clean barrel was a little further out of the group. It kicked it up to a one inch group.

With that kind of velocity, that has to be a nasty down range bullet. I would have went back to 100 yards, but I have to take and cut a little weed growth that is hiding the back stop and lane. I can see the target mind you, just not make out the 1 inch dot I was shooting in to.

I would really like to find the BC of that bullet so I can play on the ballistic calculator and see what it will do. I guessed at 210 and it says that there is hardly a 1.3 inch difference between 50 and 100 yards. I am wondering if that could be right?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Rainier makes them. Only available through Harvester though for the 260 version you are shooting. Harvester is a great company. Grafs sells them in 12 packs with CR sabots cheap, they may even offer the 30 pack also with CR sabots.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Does .160 for a BC sound about right? I ordered a good supply of them. They even come in .40 caliber 200 grain and I want to try them in my .45 GMB and see how they shoot.

Running the ballistics with a sight in a 50 yards it says they'd be a little over 2 inches low at 100. After reviewing the drop, I would be better off to sight in a 100 with them and then just shoot. There is only a 1.1 high at 50 yards and under an inch at 25 yards. I might have to ask Sabotloader to run some numbers. Then he can explain it all to me...
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Does .160 for a BC sound about right? I ordered a good supply of them. They even come in .40 caliber 200 grain and I want to try them in my .45 GMB and see how they shoot.

Running the ballistics with a sight in a 50 yards it says they'd be a little over 2 inches low at 100. After reviewing the drop, I would be better off to sight in a 100 with them and then just shoot. There is only a 1.1 high at 50 yards and under an inch at 25 yards. I might have to ask Sabotloader to run some numbers. Then he can explain it all to me...
It would be my guess that .160 is in the area and probably a bit on the low side....

Here is a sheet... I just ran a straight 100 yard zero, I did not plug in any Point blank Range information.

Here are my assumptions...

BC: .170
Open Sights: .75 Sight Heigth
Altitude: 1500'
Temp: 75*

Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

thanks.. that is what my chart I ran pretty much reported.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

I shot the .400 200 grainers in Harvester blue CR's with my .50 Encore Bergara barrel. With 105gr of BH209 it was printing 3 shot 100yd groups of 1" on average. Email Harvester and let them know you would like to try them and they will send you off some with sabots to try before you buy.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a terminal performance test I did on the 200 grain 40. Others have tested the Scorpion PT's with similar results.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...rformance.html

When you look at accuracy, terminal performance and price, these have to be a consideration when searching for a load.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave, were u shooting the tipped or the HP versions? I see they make them in a 300 gr version too which is what 2 of my 50s shoot well. I may have to give them a try also.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-10-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting the funnel point. It's all I have right now until my order comes in. Then I will have some of every one of them to try.

Josmund.. I intend to shoot them out of my Green Mountain Barrel. I will try them with the light blue sabots. I see you were shooting 90 grains. So that will be my starting point.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I was shooting the funnel point. It's all I have right now until my order comes in. Then I will have some of every one of them to try.

Josmund.. I intend to shoot them out of my Green Mountain Barrel. I will try them with the light blue sabots. I see you were shooting 90 grains. So that will be my starting point.
Dave, I was using the smooth blue for the test. Quite honestly, they load a little tight in my GMB on the Elite. The Crushed Rib Blue load about right and perform very well for accuracy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.