Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CCI 209M primers and BH 209

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Triumph had been shot for a couple of years without a delay using BH and W209 primer. When Grouse45 first wrote about his experience with delay, i was surprised. This past winter, i was using the Triumph quite a bit, and for the first time, experienced a barely noticeable delay. Then days later another. These delay made me sad. The W209 were the only primer that were long enough to make a nice seal in my Triumph.

Examining the breech plug revealed the flash hole had grown to 0.032" from the original 0.029". Seeing this, it was decided to make the cavity in the nose deeper, and cure the flash hole growth with one step.

The cavity is now 5/16" diameter, and 0.35" deep. The vent liner has a flash hole of 0.28". The original depth of the cavity was 0.21". After doing this work the Triumph was shot many more times as the winter waned without any more delay. It is too soon to tell if the modification is a 'fix'. Only time and at least one more winter will tell.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I use CCI 209m primers and BH 209 in a CVA that is suppose to have problems with ignition without altering the breech plug. It's never failed to fire without delay.

I have no interest in trying a different primer.
Its all aboot proper headspacing eh!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use CCI 209m primers and BH 209 in a CVA that is suppose to have problems with ignition without altering the breech plug. It's never failed to fire without delay.

I have no interest in trying a different primer.
My Accura would fire reliably using BH and w209 primer over and over and over. Ever so seldom, there would be a delay. Once when i had a perfect shot, on a perfect doe, in a perfect location, the Accura failed to fire. I was sad. Hopefully you will never have this experience.

It seems to me, there is a reason people mail their CVA plugs away, and pay money to get them modified. It seems to me, there is a reason CVA, and Western Powders are making new breech plugs.

That was seasons ago when my rifle misfired; we survived, and afterward, i learned so much about breech plugs on these forum, from capable and kind teachers.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no doubt i'm not having trouble, because I have a tight fitting primer, and the BP is always squeaky clean.

With that said. I will get the new CVA/Western BP when it's available. I can't afford to have a slow ignition while hunting.

If I did, i'd be going back to hunting deer with my Winchester 94 30-30, and kick the ML to the curb.

In all my years i've never missed an animal, or failed to find it. I won't put up with it this late in life.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the Win 209's in my ProHunter. Seems like I read some where that the Win 209's are the longest primer on the market. They seem to keep blowback to almost 0 in my PH. Have never had a delay or ftf to date. They are too long for my buddy's Endeavor though and it will not lock-up.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

BH with Federal 209a. 300 shots with no fails or delays.

My Omega plugs must be cleaned every 28 shots for confidence using a 1/8 drill bit. I swab at the same time.

D
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug100g

It seems you/TC have it figured out.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any primer works in the Omega BC. Even after 50 shots.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

...........................I will get the new CVA/Western BP when it's available. I can't afford to have a slow ignition while hunting...........................
Yup, better to be safe than sorry.

Beins how my rifle went through many many bullets and primers this past winter with this plug, i have no fear of failure whilst using my Accura. This rifle has never failed even when left out loaded and dirty overnight in sub-zero weather. The vent liner currently in the plug is the second one tried, and both are/were perfect.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much do you charge to do that Ron?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.