Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scopes?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too each his own. Personally I would stay away from the DNZ mounting system. Especially with a cheaper scope. One of the things you give up with a cheap scope is good eye relief. Normally you only get a full field of view at one postition, and with little lee-way either forward or backward. And the DNZ system allows for ZERO adjustment going foreward or backward if you need a little space. And the second problem with them is the distance is also too close between the rings. That puts more weight out on the ends of the scope, and increases the harmonics of the scope.

Personally I like either the Warne or the EABCO base. It is a Picatinney style that allows for substantial adjustment. Forward and back. As well as allowing you to set the rings farther apart, which is an inherently stronger system. I guarantee you either the Warne or EABCO is every bit as strong, and probably stronger(because you can put the rings farther apart) than the DNZ.

I have seen more than a couple of guys have problems with the DNZ on Encore's. Especially when using a cheaper scope with less eye relief.

Below is a picture of the EABCO and the Warne. Look at how much adjustment you have, and how much longer the base is.

Personally I can not give a good recommendation on the cheaper scopes. I believe you get what you pay for. Tom.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Below is a picture of the Leupold dual dovetail system. Which is also a very strong system. It is mounted on an Encore MZ barrel in the picture. However I took off the mounts. It is just too short-Like the DNZ. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 07-06-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Below is a picture comparing the Warne to the Leupold in length(about the same size as DNZ). It is easy to notice how much longer the Warne is. And substantially more adjustment. Tom.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is why DNZ makes to different bases. standard for standard eye relief and the EER for longer eye relief. if one does his home work prior to buying either the scope or bases, it works out well.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
That is why DNZ makes to different bases. standard for standard eye relief and the EER for longer eye relief. if one does his home work prior to buying either the scope or bases, it works out well.

How would you possibly know what your eye relief adjustment is going to be until you mounted both the base, rings, and scopes on the rifle?? Then you check your eye box on your scope to your eye. It would be impossible to know that in advance. But stil you only have two options.

And that still does nothing to address the fact that the DNZ system is to close between the rings.

I am not knocking your system. It is a very strong system as you pointed out. However I always like to err on the side of more adjustment when dealing with scopes and rifles-not less. Just an opinion. Tom.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Aren't those konus scopes on cva and fairly new.I think I would stick to a bushnell or NIKON if your on a budget.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Ever used a DNZ. If not I would not knock it till you tried it. To each his own.....whatever!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well first off the fellow that started the thread ask for a reasonable priced set up as his spending money was about used up for the time being.
Second I never had any problem figuring which set up to recommend once we had the rifle and scope in hand is very simple geometry, I did it for years when I owned half of a gun shop.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sbuff
Aren't those konus scopes on cva and fairly new.I think I would stick to a bushnell or NIKON if your on a budget.
Konus has been around since the early 1970's. I guess CVA got tired of the Bushnell quality and went to Konus.

The Konus Pro, what i have is really darn clear. Some on my forum compared the clarity to a Leupold.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I guess CVA should.....never mind !!

Optics Planet has a nice selection of scopes,once you choose your brand,the only other suggestion I would have is to get something with good eye relief.Also as stated get a nice base and rings.There are tons of scopes out there,it will come down to what you can afford and what you like.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.