Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Going to hang it up for a while

Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

My ML has become my new "hunting rifle" now that my kids are using my regular rifle. Still quite an advantage over bow and arrow where 1 shot is typically all you get.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

I love muzzleloading but I can't hang up my centerfires. Alot of history with those rifles and I like to use them from time to time. Probably this year when I antelope hunt I'll use my .270 instead of my inline. Need a 300 yard shot or more.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

The vast majority of my deer and hogs will continue to be killed with muzzleloaders. But i'm not going to hang up my centerfire rifles. They are very handy for hunting coyotes and for killing bunches of hogs.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have many more bow kills then all my guns put together. That said I enjoy hunting now with my muzzleloader more then any weapon. But during opening week of rifle I still enjoy my Ruger number 1. Its like an old friend that never lets me down. The longest shot I have ever taken a deer is 150 yards with my muzzleloader. Even with my ruger number 1 I do my best to let them get as close as possible before firing her off.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Spike

I come at it from the other direction - just getting started with hunting with rug rats crowding me out of house and home and wallet....

But jumped at the chance after getting so much good advice here on the forum and being able to get a decent ML for a couple hundy, and with the extended season they're many benefits for a late/newcomer like me!