Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

triumph or or knight bighorn.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default triumph or or knight bighorn.

I have an omega and love its fixed barrel and closed breach. but need another for the wife. looking at the knight bighorn. looks like you get more with the bighorn it also doesnt have the QLA. also comes with 3 plugs. the triumph is easy to run like the omega but has QLA so full bore bullets are out. any opinions?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Knight also had the Omega, but I still have and love my Triumph !!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by trigger45
I have an omega and love its fixed barrel and closed breach. but need another for the wife. looking at the knight bighorn. looks like you get more with the bighorn it also doesnt have the QLA. also comes with 3 plugs. the triumph is easy to run like the omega but has QLA so full bore bullets are out. any opinions?
I am not sure you would want a Big Horn, it is an open breech, plunger action gun. It will get dirty when shooting.

Now, if you were comparing the Triumph to a DISC Extreme - that is a different story, it is a bolt action gun and can be had with a very clean shooting breech area.

I have a Triumph, Omega, Big Horns, and I hunt with a DISC.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

if you're shooting full bore conicals, The knight.

Sabots, The TC
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

If you have the Omega I would go with the Triumph if your not too picky on bullets. Its easier to clean, accurate right out of the box. Also when you get the right sabot it seems no matter what the bullet you can get a one inch group. Put a Nikon Omega on it and in one range day your wife will be all set for the season. Also its really light. Light enough my wife can hold and shoot it. My vote is the Triumph
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

Take her to Bass Pro, Cabelas, or any other big store that carries alot of muzzleloaders and have her shoulder a few.

Definitely have her shoulder the Omega Dream Season with flex tech stock. It just feels right!

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/omega_dream_season.php
Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 AM
Spike

gonna go with the knight bighorn. comes with 3 different plugs and can use full bore bullets.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Omega45
Take her to Bass Pro, Cabelas, or any other big store that carries alot of muzzleloaders and have her shoulder a few.

Definitely have her shoulder the Omega Dream Season with flex tech stock. It just feels right!

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/omega_dream_season.php
Trigger45 even though i would love to see you take an interest in a Knight product.....Omega45's advice is well worth noting. I am a KNIGHT fan but the Dream Season did catch my eye and did shoulder well. Its also a tiny bit lighter than other Omegas and comes with some nice features.

The barrel is very unique too and a little shorter than all but the Omega X7....Which is awesome IMO. I know a place that still has a few X7s but they are about $500.

Letting HER handle them is a huge plus. Usually what handles/fits well for someone is likely going to make it easier for them to work up a comfortable and accurate load. Carrying a gun in the field that doesn't fit is also a chore and takes some of the fun out of hunting IMO. I don't hunt with my Savage for this reason. Its a great gun but i just don't care to hunt with it in my location and conditions.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

If my Knights are any example they area little on the heavy side for a lady, unless she is fairly strong. The Triumph is reasonably light and easy to use and as far as conicals go I keep hearing they won't shoot them but mine do. I tried the 460 just to see and got a 2 inch group at a 100 yds but personally I prefer the FPB it shoots out of all my guns equally well and the Thor does to my Triumph likes the 320 gr real bullet. But to be honest I prefer the sabot-ed bullet especially the 250 gr Deep Curl and the 200gr Lehigh 50/40 and since the only restrictions here is that it be loaded from the barrel be at least 40 caliber and have at least 20 inch barrel, we have a lot of possible choices.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your wife is small of stature and you want to shoot full bore conicals, then look at the little horn, same rifle as the big horn with a smaller LOP.i Have a Triumph and it's a great rifle. but when using full bore conicals the knights the far better choice and they shoot saboted bullets well also. i seriously doubt the triumph or the omega would fit your wife unless she is a talleer lady. Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.