Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Now I want to buy a Black powder shotgun.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Now I want to buy a Black powder shotgun.

On the way to work the day before yesterday, I saw a Tom turkey in full strut. He was courting two hens in someones front yard. It was the first time I ever saw a Tom all puffed up with his tail feathers fully faned out. He was a majestic sight. It makes me want to buy a muzzleloading shotgun.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been thinking the same thing. Our turkey season is 30 days long. One in the fall, and one in the spring.

Plus, turkey is good eating.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

If recoil is an issue with you for any health reasons... do not get a TK2000 made by Knight. The recoil is brutal. But if being kicked around is not a problem the range that a black powder Knight or White inline shotgun can give you is astounding. I shoot a TK2000 and consider it a 40 yard gun.

Some traditional ways to go is the T/C New Englander. They make a 12 gauge barrel. Recoil is there, but not brutal like the Knight. I consider this a 25-30 yard gun for turkey. There are other brand of fowlers ou there but I have no experience with them. You could also look at a smoothbore musket. The early settlers liked the smoothbore musket because it could be loaded with shot for birds or rabbits and then if you were hunting up close and personal, large game.. a round ball from the smoothbore was deadly.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

A very informative post, I'll keep it all in mind if my budget ever permits the purchase of one. It would be nice to have one, but if I think about it, there are still a bunch of muzzleloaders I would like to have.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I would like a knight, but I just hate how it is a fixed full choke. Wish they made an inline with interchangable chokes.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Pedersoli "Mortimer" fowler. It is a 12 gauge, beautiful gun but a single barrel not two. So make that shot count!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pedersoli Mortimer 12 ga Chrome lined double barrel. I used to live in IL and hunt pheasant and quail with it it actually would out shoot any cartridge gun we matched it against for holding a pattern, it was a lot of fun, but since I move to AR I have not seen a game bird.