Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tips? - Flintlock Igniton

Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Bronko. At half c0ck the flint should be a lot closer to the frizzen. Also, mounting it with the bevel down will cause it to hit higher on the frizzen and provide a longer striking stroke. A longer flint would be better, but you can also put a piece of wood (broken off twig) behind the flint to move it out farther. I've used both leather and lead and tend to favor lead. But leather works fine also. The only down side to lead is you have to re-tighten the c0ck screw after the first two or three shots, and then again two or three shots later until the lead really conforms to and grips the flint. But you may not be experiencing that with the flat/smooth Agates.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Banned

i read the gap should be the thickness of a nickel
Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I mount a fresh flint, I set it so I can barely see daylight between the flint & frizzen when on half c0ck.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I am wondering if you have the right size agate. Normally they sit closer to the frizzen then that. If you have and Thomas Fuller black English flints, try one of them. When I put the new flint IN LEATHER and set it, the distance between the nose of the flint and the frizzen is about 1/16 of an inch. Its really tight. And the first few shots will reset that distance as the flint knapps.

I have never owned a Pedersolli but have heard a lot of good things about them. As for the threads in the touch hole, I would suspect that a Lyman thread might work. But could not guarantee it. Perhaps with a little research on your part through Pedersolli they could tell you the threads on their touch hole. Then you would be certain.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the distance from flint to frizzen could be the culprit. I appreaciate all the help!

I'll order some new flints and give it a try.

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have never owned a Pedersolli but have heard a lot of good things about them. As for the threads in the touch hole, I would suspect that a Lyman thread might work. But could not guarantee it. Perhaps with a little research on your part through Pedersolli they could tell you the threads on their touch hole. Then you would be certain.
The fit and finish on the gun is excellent! I have nothing negative to say about it. I tried finding the tread size online but their website is in Italian and needless to say, I don't speak it. I'll do some more searching. I just didn't know if someone knew off the top of their head.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Well I took the ol' flintlock out again today just for fun. The flintlock world is somewhat new to me. I'm trying to get mine tuned in and was wondering if anyone had any tips for faster ignition.

I've found using less pan powder works better.
I've experiemented with powder in the middle, outer edge ect
I've made sure the touch hole is clear before every shot
I wipe the frizzen between every shot
I wipe the edge of the flint between every shot
I keep the flint as sharp as I can (using TC Agate flints)

I'm kind of out of ideas as this point...

It'll go off everytime, but I can still hear/feel the lock before it goes boom. Is it just wishful thinkin' to believe I can get it as fast as a caplock?

Blue Ridge (Pedersoli) flintlock in .54
Goex FFG and Goex FFFFG
.18 pillow ticking
.530 round ball

Thanks in advance!
Scott
RMC sports.com has touch hole liner replacements with the allen head part# ML187 and states they are a M8X1.25 threads for a Pedersoli rifle. I believe this is the one you would need. You can go to their site and search by the part number or the name in their catalog section.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

RMC sports.com has touch hole liner replacements with the allen head part# ML187 and states they are a M8X1.25 threads for a Pedersoli rifle. I believe this is the one you would need. You can go to their site and search by the part number or the name in their catalog section.
Cayugad is right. That's the one you need.

But the RMC site is not very friendly and has no search function. Go here http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm and click on Black Powder Shooting Accessories on the menu at the left hand side of the page, then scroll down to the Nipples, 209 Adapters, Touch Hole Liners section.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

TNHagies: give the lead a try I found my Traditions flintlock sparked a lot better with lead vs. leather. It may work for you. I also found my flints held up a whole lot better using lead instead of leather.

Good luck.