Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tips? - Flintlock Igniton

Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

dribbling the powder into the touch hole doesnt slow anything down. Once you smack the stock a few times, it will settle into the main charge and mainly be closer to give it some extra oomph for a faster ignition.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll tell you what I thinks makes for slow ignition in a flinter...

A touch hole that's too high...When I build a flinter I set it up so that the
touch hole is behind the heel of the frizzen when closed...You put that thing
down low where it can be covered with powder and the powder has to burn down
to ignite the main charge...

Where is this touch hole??? I've even made touch hole liners, counter bored them
and drilled them off center so it would be in the right place...I'd also look at going
to a White Lightning liner...

I don't care much for those cut flints either, I prefer the black English flints...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
If you're getting a WHOOSH-BANG, it should not be doing that. Too much powder in the pan may cause it, or too small a touch hole, or poor sparks from the flint. Dribbling powder into the touch hole is more likely to slow ignition than to speed it up. You don't want a fuse. You want a blast of hot gas through the touch hole to the main charge.
It's more a 'chunk-bang' I don't get a fuse effect.

Powder in the pan should be below the bottom of the touch hole, not blocking it. In both of my flinters, a level layer across the entire pan seems to work best, and it doesn't take much. I would call my pans about 1/3 full. You should also consider some black English flints instead of the Agates. Some folks seem to have good luck with Agates, but I'm not one.
I am going to order a frizzen cover from TOTW and I'm going to order some flints as well. I'm open to trying anything. I will say, the English flint that came w/the gun sparks about the same amount as these Agates.

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Where is this touch hole??? I've even made touch hole liners, counter bored them
and drilled them off center so it would be in the right place...I'd also look at going
to a White Lightning liner...

I don't care much for those cut flints either, I prefer the black English flints...
Here's a pic of both what amount/position of powder has worked for me so far-but again I'm up for any suggetions you guys may have.

nchawkeye, here's a pic of the touchole position.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking at ordering one of the RMC liners but of course they don't show one for Pedersoli. Any idea on which one would work for mine?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

Italian thread should work
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

That doesn't look like enough powder.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That doesn't look like enough powder.
When I used more, the delay was greater.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chunk-Bang? That indicates to me that the delay is not between ignition of the powder in the pan and ignition of the main charge (i.e. Whoosh-Bang), but between the c0ck fall and pan ignition. If that's the case you're not getting a good shower of sparks hitting the pan powder and a different flint will likely do the job.

The other possibility is the geometry of the lock is such that the sparks are not being well directed into the pan. But I would be surprised if that's the case with a Pedersoli lock. Can you post a picture of the lock at half c0ck, with a flint in place and the pan closed? Also, you can operate the lock in a dark room (give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness) with no powder in the pan to get an idea of how much spark you're getting and where they seem to be hitting.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chunk-Bang? That indicates to me that the delay is not between ignition of the powder in the pan and ignition of the main charge (i.e. Whoosh-Bang), but between the c0ck fall and pan ignition. If that's the case you're not getting a good shower of sparks hitting the pan powder and a different flint will likely do the job.

The other possibility is the geometry of the lock is such that the sparks are not being well directed into the pan. But I would be surprised if that's the case with a Pedersoli lock. Can you post a picture of the lock at half c0ck, with a flint in place and the pan closed? Also, you can operate the lock in a dark room (give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness) with no powder in the pan to get an idea of how much spark you're getting and where they seem to be hitting.
Ask and you shall receive:

I think it sparks pretty well but heck, what do I know I'm a flintlock rookie.

What are you guy's thoughts on using lead vs leather in the jaws? Make any difference?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd also try flipping that flint over so the part closer to the frizzen is on top. Also, if you're on 1/2 c0ck in that pic, I suggest larger flints to get you closer to the frizzen. I like my flint to be about 1/16" from the frizzen at 1/2 c0ck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.