Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Competition

Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting Competition

We need to spice things up here now that its summer and we all can shoot. A shooting competition with our muzzleloaders. Have three catagories (Inlines, Percu, and Flints) Have the yardage be 100 yards and see who can get the closest group with five shoots. Have it run for three weeks. Just so everyone has enough time to shoot. Also we all shoot from the bench and then the top three people from each catagory could have a playoff. Off hand 75 yards five shots. Best group wins all. Also you cannot change rifles. What ever one you start with you have to finish with. For the most part i believe all of us would enter all three but I know some people don't have all three. With the three catagories we would have three winners. We a start and end date (three to two week time table). By the end of the date all the targets need to posted or they could be emailed to some one to go through. Then the playoffs would start after we get the top three of each. What do you guys think? Any different ideas.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

This is a good idea. It really sounds like fun. Perhaps you could consider shooting for score instead of, or in addition to, shooting for groups. You would need to post a target that we could use, but that would be fairly easy as there are a lot available for free on the net.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scopes and lead sleds against open sights? You need some tighter rules.

Inlines.........anything goes.

Sidelocks..........open sights, PRB, and offhand.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

I'm open to any ideas. Get it to where we all agree and then go for it. I think scoped sidelocks would be fine as long as they are under 4x power. PRB is fine by me. The playoffs would be offhand. I figure at first with everyone that shoots on a rest we would get the top shots of each catagory. Then to really pick the winner would be offhand. As for targets I don't think it matters. As long as we measure the five shot group and the smallest groups move on. If there is a tie resulting in more than three per group I don't think that would matter. Round our groups to the nearest eight of an inch.

Last edited by 50calty; 06-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not interested in competing against a scoped bench shot sidelock.

It's not what I use for hunting or ML shoots, so the practice won't help me. I don't even own a scope or bench rest.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Scoped in-lines at 100 yards, bench, any bullet.

Iron sighted sidelocks at 75 yards, bench, patch & ball only.

Scoped in-lines at 75 yards off hand, any bullet.

Iron sighted sidelocks at 50 yards off hand, patch & ball only.

Special category for those with GM/LRH sidelocks.
Iron sights - 75 yards bench
Scope sighted - 100 yards bench

Marbles from sling shot - 10 yards.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Well we could have six categories. Non Scope inlines, flint, perc. (3) Then Scoped inlines, flint, perc. So i don't know if any of us has scoped flintlocks. So maybe just 5 groups? The special category might work too.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Even I wouldn't scope a flintlock. That would be just too big a sin.

(Though I judge not what others may do. )
Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Even I wouldn't scope a flintlock. That would be just too big a sin.

(Though I judge not what others may do. )
Never say never Semi Ray
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

None of my sidelocks shoot PRBs very well. IMO loads should be whatever shoots best out of your particular rifle. I know Semi has a couple dandy shooting PRB rifles. And Cayugad's toughest problem would be selecting a rifle(s) to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.