Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Competition

Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Not so old timer, look back at what 50 cal said. 300 gr minimum for elk. again to each there own and i hope it does what you think it will.. Ray
300 grain for an inline muzzleloader bullet. I just don't know if a jacketed pistol bullet will less grains could knock down an elk. I guess a person would have to chrono them and find out. Anything less than 1000 fpe I would have doubt killing any elk quick. It may kill one, just not quick. And if you want to track for ever and a day. I just dont know. Last hunting season my 300 grain XTP bullets knocked everything down and the went less than 25 yards. EXECPT for one stupied doe deer. It was a double lung shot and she went 200 yards, almost lost her. So...what does that tell you? Probably nothing, sometimes its just a fluke. Just gotta shoot what your confident in and do testing. I"ve always liked the frozen milk jug. Figure if a bullet can make it crushed ice and pass through it would be fine on large game. I plan on Chorono the 300 grain XTPS this summer. So i will report that when I do it.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most guys think of a bull when they think elk. A medium cow is much easier to kill.

However, I changed my plans today. I went to the range and shot a lot. Too much. I'm sore. I tried to simulate hunting situations. Nobody else was at the range, so I was free to do what I wanted.

I came to one conclusion. I'm freaking blind. I'm not reliable enough with open sights. Some days I shoot them good. Today wasn't one of them. Maybe the day I have an elk in my sights won't be one of them either. I don't think I should take the chance.

So, there I sat all alone. No balls left, no powder, and a long face. Crap! Getting old really really sucks!

Ok, I gathered myself up, loaded my stuff back in the Jeep, and came up with a plan.

The obvious answer was a scope. Since I have a special permit to shoot a scope during ML season here. I can use it all the time.

I'm loaded up and sitting behind the wheel thinking what to do. My dog keeps batting my arm with his paw. Wondering why we aren't going.

I refuse to put a scope on a sidelock. Besides, if I use a scope. It should be on a gun that will shoot farther. I see no way out of this except to buy another inline. Cripes!

Determined to not spend a bunch of money. I drive to my local gun shop. On the way i'm making a decision on what to buy. It has to be cheap, but not a piece of junk.

I settle on a CVA Wolf package deal that comes with a gun case and mounted Konus scope. $230 out the door.

I get it next week. I'll figure out what bullet/powder to use then.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 50calty
300 grain for an inline muzzleloader bullet. I just don't know if a jacketed pistol bullet will less grains could knock down an elk. I guess a person would have to chrono them and find out. Anything less than 1000 fpe I would have doubt killing any elk quick. It may kill one, just not quick. And if you want to track for ever and a day. I just dont know. Last hunting season my 300 grain XTP bullets knocked everything down and the went less than 25 yards. EXECPT for one stupied doe deer. It was a double lung shot and she went 200 yards, almost lost her. So...what does that tell you? Probably nothing, sometimes its just a fluke. Just gotta shoot what your confident in and do testing. I"ve always liked the frozen milk jug. Figure if a bullet can make it crushed ice and pass through it would be fine on large game. I plan on Chorono the 300 grain XTPS this summer. So i will report that when I do it.
Maybe a 300gr in a sabot (45 cal) is needed. I think a full bore Thor 250gr will be fine for a cow elk, and Terry at Thor thinks it would be fine for a bull too. We all know how the Barnes penetrates and expands. Good shot placement should knock her down.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Cow - Bull, their vitals are still the same and you hunt them the same way. Put it behind the shoulder and squeeze the trigger.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you think it's easier to knock down a woman, or a man?

Same vitals.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Do you think it's easier to knock down a woman, or a man?

Same vitals.
Thats true. Those old bulls will take more of a beating. Look at a Mountain Goat. Same vitals as a deer, antelope, etc. But jeeze, they can take a whole clip and just stand there at take it. Guess it just depends what the animal has went through.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Muley don't you have an OMEGA? Wouldn't that work instead of buying a new gun? Just wondering
Old 06-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, I sold it when I thought I was going to stay traditional.

I give up, and give in to inlines.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

This is what muley really needs,

Missouri River Hawken
.50 Caliber Percussion Rifle with Walnut Stock
The popularity obtained by the Rocky Mountain Hawken rifle and the suggestions from several target shooters and hunters contributed to our adding a new caliber, twist and barrel length. Available with maple and walnut stock. The barrel features an octagonal cross-section, rust brown color finish, and a case hardened color lock. It is equipped with double set trigger. Perfect for hunting and target shooting. Barrel length is 30", Weight is 9.48 lbs.
S206-45 .45 caliber percussion
$975.00 (NEW) (Special Order Only)
S206-50 .50 caliber percussion
$975.00
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I came close to buying one about a year ago. Only I was looking at the Rocky Mountain version.

It's one of the few Pedersoli guns that I like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.